Which ghetto tubeless method

alex100a
alex100a Posts: 84
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

So I'm looking to go tubeless and have found 2 methods of converting my 26 inch wheels. The first is using 20 inch inner tubes and the other using Gorilla tape and I would appreciate any comments on which method people would suggest.

My tyres are Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss Ready, which I understand means they are tubeless ready. Rims are Shimano MT35s.

The Gorilla tape looks easier but I can see the inner tube method may give a better seal? although maybe this would be more relevant if the tyres were not already tubeless ready?

Alex

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I used gorilla tape on bog standard Decathlon wheels with cheap OnOne tyres. All worked fine!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested in converting to tubeless with similar rims/tyres to mine. Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss Ready tyres on Shimano MT35 rims.

Basically I decided to go down the Ghetto gorilla tape route using Stans fluid and values. Whilst I took my time the conversions were both done in less than an hour. I even manage to seat the tyres on the rim with my track pump.

It all went so well and easily that I actually started to question what I'd done wrong! Surely it couldn't be that easy..... but it turns out it was so all my worry about doing it was pointless.

Following my first short ride (10mins) to test the tubeless set up I did lose quite a lot of pressure over the next couple of days however a weekend in Wales (no punctures) and the fluid has worked its magic and the loss in pressure between rides is minimal.

All in very happy and hope this proves useful for somebody.
  • Yep Gorilla tape, Stans fluid & valves.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Superstar tubeless tape isn't that expensive, and it's the proper stuff for the job. Just saying . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I've just converted a wheel to ghetto tubeless with Gorilla Tape . I cut a valve from a punctured inner tube . My tyres are not designated as tubeless ready and I found that the Stans fluid actually came out of several holes in the tyre walls..... But the tyres are dropping about 10psi over 4/5 days. Go soft but not flat. Think the next set I plan doing should be better as the Schwalbe tyres on that set of wheels are actually tubeless ready