Sturdy winter wheelset

tommurto
tommurto Posts: 10
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a sturdy set of wheels for my commutes in the harsh winters of Finland. I don't want to spend too much, because these wheels are going to take quite a lot of beating. I weight around 87kg. I will be using them with 32c tyres.

I've narrowed down my options to the following:
https://www.rosebikes.fi/tuote/shimano-wh-r501--28700-c-road-wheel-set/aid:100100#product_detail_info_tabs
and
https://www.rosebikes.fi/tuote/xtreme-road-wheel-set-28700c-r-490--shimano-fh-hb-rs400/aid:339578

The Shimanos are cheap and therefore expendable, but the 20/24 spokes don't have me convinced that they would be suitable to take a beating with snow / bumpy ice and taking into consideration my weight.

The Rose Bikes wheel are laced 36/36 and are about 1/3 more expensive and around 200g heavier, and I would presume last longer. But is 36/36 overkill?

I'd be happy to hear any experience people might have, and if there are any good suggestions on wheels which are strong but not a nightmare to ride. I've also considered Shimano RS010 and RS11, but these probably don't have any advantage to the R501s in terms on strength because the spoke count is the same.

Comments

• 36 spokes might be overkill, but so what? I have 36 spokes on my 1980s bike and they never stopped me going anywhere. Individual spokes are virtually weighless... it's only when you pile up 50 of them that you get a sizeable mass.

Depending on the spoke, each one + nipple is between 5 and 10 grams
    left the forum March 2023
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I don't have the full set, but I bought one of the rear r490 wheels a few months ago on a 105 hub - it's a good build - spokes are at a good high tension, wheel is lighter than some other winter wheels (pro lite garda ds was what I compared it to), and anyone can repair it if you do manage to break a spoke.

I'm also about 30kg heavier than you - it's still doing fine.
  • Thanks! Good to hear someone has positive experience with the r490 wheel build. I think I will go for them, as they will probably be a solid commuting wheelset and good backup wheelset, which are easy to service.
  • hope hubs and mavic open pro rims.would be my choice. Bombproof and easily serviced.