ottolock

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 793
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
Has anyone seen this? Looks pretty cool if it's as secure as they suggest.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ot ... r-bikes-an

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    The three-digit combination means it's no more secure than the lock on a wheelie suitcase. On average, there would be only 500 combinations to try until opening it, which a bored kid could do in a few minutes.

Hire bikes in Warsaw come with combination locks and those are four-digit - I don't think I'd rely on my bike having less security than those old bangers get :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Will deter an opportunist but will not delay a determined bike thief by more than a couple of seconds.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Good way to secure a front wheel to the frame maybe, but I'd need convincing to use it as anything more than that.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I like it for cafe stops or when I quickly pop to the shops but not for the current price, £40 for one or so if you factor in delivery.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    would be interesting to see if it's as tough as they say. My guess is that it won't be long before some clever thief finds a way to get through it in seconds.
  • AlSee
    AlSee Posts: 10
    A cigarette lighter would play havoc with all that plastic.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    going on the size of it,. it looks ideal for those situations that you wont be stood next to your bike for a couple of minutes, ie going up to the bar to order food when the bike is still outside, popping in to the shop for an icecream, etc etc

light and folds up small

it will stop someone from just walking off with your bike and you can carry it easily in a saddle bag
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Never bothered with locks on Sunday rides. The cafes I stop at are out of the way.

I'd not use that lock for leaving a bike all day too. Why only three digits ?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It's probably good enough for the cake (pint) stop, which is probably all it's intended for.

I'd like to have a go at the combination lock; with a little practise, one can decode most combination locks in about 30-60 seconds.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I'm pondering either a higher end Abus Bordo variation, or as a leftfield option, a Litelok...

http://www.litelok.com/

I wouldn't use a 3-pin combination lock even to secure my front fat wheel, nevermind the whole bike! If that wheel vanishes, it will cost me £100+ to replace just the wheel, before we talk about the tyre; disc rotor; tube!! :shock:

At work, I use two Abus Granit-X d-locks, one for the front wheel and one through the rear triangle and rear wheel. But I don't want to be lugging ~3Kg of lock around with me for a quick trip to the shops. :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Yea, good point about the three digits. It's not a lock I'd use to leave my bike somewhere over night, but I thought it was a pretty good idea. Especially being so light. The litelok looks pretty cool.
  • Those locking teeth are made of plastic, I wouldn't think it would need much of a tug to pull it apart.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Knog Milkman 1m Cable Lock.
    I got one of these in a Black Friday sale. Perfect for cafe stops at 1/2 price.
    Need something more substantial for anything longer, or regular.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.