Hope tech 3 X2 brakes

bluemoon81
bluemoon81 Posts: 71
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

After having a nightmare with the new xt m8000 brakes, I'm looking at the Hope tech 3 X2 brakes, I'm hoping for the same kind of power but better modulation what do u guys think?

Thanks

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The brakes feel quite different. Whereas the XTs are light and easy to pull the Hopes have a heavier, snappier feel. I think this weight in the lever gives a bit more modulation at the expense of fatigue if you're using the brakes a lot.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    When it comes to modulation I recommend that you investigate different types of pads before buying new brakes. I've heard good things about kevlar ones, for example.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I run M8000 brakes and like them,for power and feel
  • Nightmare being they don't pump up and after speaking to Madison who said its a lever problem that's doesn't hold pressure meaning the Pistons don't stay out, you can pull the lever to the bar without pads in and the Pistons pull out then let go of lever and they just go back in flush, now sent them away to warrantied and came back better but there now doing the same thing again so just want to get them repaired and then sell them.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well I'll make a point of not buying any second hand M8000 brakes if they come up. Look if these things don't work then get them exchanged. Go to the place that you bought them and raise merry hell with them. Brakes prevent you from getting killed and are sold with the expectation that they work. Accepting re-furbished ones that have been proven not to work is not right.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what you going to do if you get a duff pair of hope brakes? No issues with my bro in laws M8000 brakes
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    POAH wrote:
    what you going to do if you get a duff pair of hope brakes? No issues with my bro in laws M8000 brakes

I'm sure you wont get some duff hope brakes as they wont be making them in the same quantities as shimano.

Wasn't the m8000 brakes issue limited to the early ones but shimano will swap them out under warranty though.
  • Any component can be faulty, no matter who makes it. Mass production methods are generally more stable and less likely to produce faulty components than lower volume CNC manufacturing.
    Faults happen, repairing the part under warranty should be fine, as long as it's done correctly. There are probably thousands of sets of brakes which have been reworked before leaving the factory and the owners would never know.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Shimano had a bad batch of M8000 brakes.
    There is a small silver sticker on the underside of the brake levers, near the pivot. The bottom 2 letters are the batch code. See what your's is and then do a web search for info.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009