New disc rotors

Giantmatt75
Giantmatt75 Posts: 149
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Been looking at going up in rotor size on my XT brakes from 160mm to 180mm. Whilst looking for a 180mm ice tech rotor I saw a pair of Avid HS 1 rotas for £8.99, this is a much cheaper option but are they total junk ?

Comments

• turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    Been looking at going up in rotor size on my XT brakes from 160mm to 180mm. Whilst looking for a 180mm ice tech rotor I saw a pair of Avid HS 1 rotas for £8.99, this is a much cheaper option but are they total junk ?

Don't know about the avid rotors being junk but when I replaced the avids CRs on my bike for deores the Shimano rotors were about 0.1mm or 0.15mm thinner
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are fine. Generally rotors are rotors.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the replys, have had low end Avid juicy brakes on a couple of bikes and rotors have been fine . Just surprised how cheap they were
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    don't bother with the HS1 rotor and the XT brakes as the braking surface isn't big enough.
  • That's what I needed to know , will stick with the ice rotor and stop being a cheap skate
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    That's what I needed to know, will stick with the ice rotor and stop being a cheap skate

Do you need icetech discs as you could save some money and just buy some standard shimano discs.

Are your wheels centre lock rotors too or standard 6 bolt as you may be limited to what you can change to.