£300 or under budget road bike?

w1lz
w1lz Posts: 37
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

So I posted a few weeks back about wanting to buy my first road bike- I had around £800+ to spend. Following the discussion I decided it was crazy to sink that much money into something I didn't really know what I was looking for. So since then I've been following and looking for used bicycles around the £200 mark. I can't believe how expensive used bikes are. They normally go for only £50 off the value they are new or are in very bad condition- there is also a lack of road bikes- so I'm also re thinking this idea. It's been incredibly frustrating!

I've been looking at budget road bikes from big brands. The two that stand out to me for having the best specs are the following

1. Btwin Triban 500se http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-s ... 06187.html £300

Or

2. Carrera Tdf http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001 £220

So the btwin seems to win on tech but it's pretty close as I see it and with an extra £80 in my back pocket am I better to go for the cheaper Carrera and upgrade something. Or is the Triban really as good as the write ups make it and worth the extra?

Thanks!

Comments

• w1lz
    For some reason this post only appeared now after being posted yesterday! Anyway- any thoughts? Thanks!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have had a decathlon budget bike and can't speak highly enough of them. It was a few years back - so isn't the one you would be getting. But you don't here many complaints about decathlon - and that £300 bike is much recommended as a start bike.
    Also in my experience decath offer good after sales service as well.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Btwin is much better than the carrera.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ebay - Get a better bike for less. No VAT and a lot more options.

You could pick up a Spez allez or Giant Defy (for example) for 300 easily.
  • w1lz
    Thanks for the replies guys- I did have a feeling the extra was worth it!

Kingrollo- out of interest how long did the Btwin last you? Or have you still got it? Did you need something better relatively quickly or is it a good bike to last a good few starter years?

Do you mean second hand? I've struggled to find something decent and I didn't really want to spend more than £200 if going second hand as no warranties after care etc. So not much choice at that end :(.
  • Anonymous
    w1lz wrote:

Kingrollo- out of interest how long did the Btwin last you? Or have you still got it? Did you need something better relatively quickly or is it a good bike to last a good few starter years?

Do you mean second hand? I've struggled to find something decent and I didn't really want to spend more than £200 if going second hand as no warranties after care etc. So not much choice at that end :(.

Im sorry you feel that way. Thing is for 300 you are not going to get a worthwhile bike. They will be heavy harsh and clunky and you're paying 20% vat on top for the privilege too.

Tell me what size you are looking for or just your height and I am sure I can find a decent used bike for 200
  • w1lz
    I think 54cm... I'm 5 8.5.

I've been looking in my area only (originally) as I wanted to view the bike before I ride. But I guess I could buy and get courier- it's just a bit of a punt. I'm in Loughborough Leicestershire
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Triban 500 SE is a cracking bike for the money, carbon forks, and not too heavy.

Heavy, harsh or clunky it is not - and you have peace of mind warranty for any issues, and they are renowned for good customer service, plus a lifetime guarantee on their frames.

My bro's ex gf has a Triban 3 Red, in recent months I helped a mate get into road cycling with a 500SE, and soon my niece wants a starter road bike, and I will be directing her to a 500SE also, or the equivalent if they change the model next year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • You can pick up a second hand trek 1000 for £150 max plus small service be perfectly reliable , help you make your mind up if you like cycling then upgrade to better bike when yum can .
  • kingrollo
    w1lz wrote:

MY Decath
    It was my 2nd winter\ commuter bike - it never skipped a beat (ok one spoke once !)

I sold it because I got a bad injury to my hamstring \ hip - and I needed the money to buy a recumbent bike. Otherwise it would still be my winter hack.

My winter hack now is a used giant defy 2 - I picked this up for a tad under £300 from ebay. Good as new to be honest - there are loads of defy's on ebay - I found mine first time i looked - I did more or less meet his asking price though. Personally I would rethink your £200 budget for used (there is unlikely to be much wrong with a used alu bike)

But overall if you just want to get going - I would still get the decath - if you live near one - you can go and sit on it - the staff there are reasonably knowledgeable - you can still catch a bit cycling in the sunshine !
  • w1lz wrote:
    I think 54cm... I'm 5 8.5.

I've been looking in my area only (originally) as I wanted to view the bike before I ride. But I guess I could buy and get courier- it's just a bit of a punt. I'm in Loughborough Leicestershire

I'm exactly your height and am selling a lovely carbon Boardman (for a bit more than your £300 but it's the sort of bike you wouldn't have to dump if you did love road cycling). I don't suppose you ever come down to London?
  • w1lz wrote:
    Hi Guys,

So I posted a few weeks back about wanting to buy my first road bike- I had around £800+ to spend. Following the discussion I decided it was crazy to sink that much money into something I didn't really know what I was looking for. So since then I've been following and looking for used bicycles around the £200 mark. I can't believe how expensive used bikes are. They normally go for only £50 off the value they are new or are in very bad condition- there is also a lack of road bikes- so I'm also re thinking this idea. It's been incredibly frustrating!

I've been looking at budget road bikes from big brands. The two that stand out to me for having the best specs are the following

1. Btwin Triban 500se http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-s ... 06187.html £300

Or

2. Carrera Tdf http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001 £220

So the btwin seems to win on tech but it's pretty close as I see it and with an extra £80 in my back pocket am I better to go for the cheaper Carrera and upgrade something. Or is the Triban really as good as the write ups make it and worth the extra?

Thanks!
    I don't know where you're looking but I've always found the opposite. I'm regularly seeing 2nd hand bikes and thinking that I'd snap it up if I was in the market.

For £300 you'd be mad to buy either of the bikes you've posted, you will EASILY find a Giant Defy, Ribble Audax, Boardman Road / CX or any other number of vastly more capable bikes than the two you've posted. Look on the classifieds of this forum and also on the 'cycle buy swap sell' group on facebook - and see if there's a local bike selling group in your area, check gumtree too. Many get bought on cycle 2 work and ridden once before they get sold, because so many people do the same thing it's a buyers market, people will nearly always over estimate the value of what their selling, just be patient and you'll easily find a capable road bike for £300.
  • Also with regards to warranties / aftercare etc.

If you buy a bike that's in good nick and especially if it's you're first bike so you're not going to be hammering it or doing hundreds of miles a week, chances are apart from giving it a wash you won't need to do very much to it for quite a while! And remember it's a bike not an ipad, they generally don't just break without warning if looked after properly, they're generally built pretty well. Tyres/cables/break pads wear out weather you buy used or new and if you aren't doing loads of miles they'll also last a long time.

£300 is a very sensible budget for a first road bike, you will be able to get something worth having. At £200 that gets a lot more tricky - you'd be looking at 2nd hand versions of the two bikes you wanted to buy new, and those kinds of bikes usually aren't well looked after. People who have bought a slightly more serious bike, caught the bug and sell it on to buy something better are much more likely to have looked after their machine than someone who bought the cheapest thing they could find, rode it once and then sold it after a year.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Do a search on Ebay using the mileage limiter from your postcode.

I live in LE12 and there are a few options within 50 miles of my location that you might consider.

First ones in Sheffield

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... SwmfhX39Nj

Second one also in Sheffield

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Racing-bike-c ... Sw8oFXyGHD

This one's a tad over your budget but you may be able to haggle a deal (based in Northants)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-TCR-Roa ... SwvzRX0eNr

All of these would make ideal first time purchases to see if you like road cycling
  • w1lz
    Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the comments. I got a little annoyed with eBay as I felt bikes were going well over what they were worth. But I don't know!

I'm currently watching these:

Orbea Tiagra groupset (custom built) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361735278554? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Specialized Allez sora- needs rear barings. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162207660890? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I imagine they will hit if not go over the £300 mark, especially the specialized. But any thoughts on these two? They are all relatively local so a good shout!

My main concern with buying second hand, I cant try it. And I'm concerned that I get something which has me in a sportive position. As I will be using this for commuting as well as training its got to suit all!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Of the two the orbea looks better to me.
    But if I were a noob with your budget I would get a Decathalon. It will work and not have any hidden problems.

I don't really understand your comment about commuting, I commute 10k on the same bike I ride for 160k.
    If you are worried about being upright it takes less than 5 minutes to flip the stem and change the stack height.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^thepeginator's recommendations look good too.
  • w1lz wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    My main concern with buying second hand, I cant try it. And I'm concerned that I get something which has me in a sportive position. As I will be using this for commuting as well as training its got to suit all!
    When you buy any bike you'll have to modify it to suit your riding position. At the most basic level that means setting the saddle height, but it also means the saddle fore-aft adjustment, the height of the bars and the reach to the bars. Unfortunately the only way to adjust reach is buy a different length stem but they're cheap and it's always worth having a couple of spares in different lengths anyway. All these things are easily do-able with a quick watch of a youtube video and a couple of allen keys. You can constantly tweak this over time so you don't need to worry about getting it 'wrong' as such, as long as you get a frame that's the right size, all the other things can be easily modified.

The only way you'll ever get a bike that fits 100% from the moment you buy it is buying from a shop and getting a bike fit done at the same time.
  • kingrollo
    I don't wish to sound arrogant - but to buy used - you really need to know what your are doing. Ive been cycling for well over 20 years - I hopped onto ebay within minutes I had secured a giant defy for £300 - that was just down the road from me (ok 40 miles) - The O/P from what I have read (and don't take this the wrong way) doesn't have that knowledge.

So if I were the OP - I would get the decath - its a tried and tested bike, it often crops up in budget starter threads, and he has the backing of a reputable company in the unlikely event of problems...
  • w1lz
    kingrollo wrote:
    I don't wish to sound arrogant - but to buy used - you really need to know what your are doing. Ive been cycling for well over 20 years - I hopped onto ebay within minutes I had secured a giant defy for £300 - that was just down the road from me (ok 40 miles) - The O/P from what I have read (and don't take this the wrong way) doesn't have that knowledge.

So if I were the OP - I would get the decath - its a tried and tested bike, it often crops up in budget starter threads, and he has the backing of a reputable company in the unlikely event of problems...

Thing is- wether new or used im still buying a road bicycle. The Triban will be no more simplistic in comparison to the used alternatives (I've even looked at a used Triban). The used alternatives were new starter bikes at some point. The only difference is aftercare and 'looking used'. The fit of a new bike may not be correct and I may end up making changes like others have said anyway.

I havnt decided what I'm doing yet!
  • kingrollo
    w1lz wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Thing is- wether new or used im still buying a road bicycle. The Triban will be no more simplistic in comparison to the used alternatives (I've even looked at a used Triban). The used alternatives were new starter bikes at some point. The only difference is aftercare and 'looking used'. The fit of a new bike may not be correct and I may end up making changes like others have said anyway.

What I mean't was - you could go an look at a used xxxx bike, have a quick sit on it - maybe a 5 minute whiz round - yep thats great - then find out when riding it for longer - that actually its a full on race bike and not that comfy,

Where as that pretty much wouldn't happen with the decath.

But its you're money - and you have to call it as you see it. Be nice to get it sorted quickly before the weather closes in to much ! good luck..
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    kingrollo wrote:
    w1lz wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

What I mean't was - you could go an look at a used xxxx bike, have a quick sit on it - maybe a 5 minute whiz round - yep thats great - then find out when riding it for longer - that actually its a full on race bike and not that comfy,

But its you're money - and you have to call it as you see it. Be nice to get it sorted quickly before the weather closes in to much ! good luck..

Yep, good call. In fact when my bro's ex bought a 51 blind from them, and took it for a couple of rides, she took it back to get the gears adjusted, and they told her it was too small, took it back (O guess it was still in excellent condition, but must have needed new tyres at least) and gave her a brand new 54 from stock, which coincidentally she was knocking out a century ride on in the New Forest yesterday.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Daniel B wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    w1lz wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Yep, good call. In fact when my bro's ex bought a 51 blind from them, and took it for a couple of rides, she took it back to get the gears adjusted, and they told her it was too small, took it back (O guess it was still in excellent condition, but must have needed new tyres at least) and gave her a brand new 54 from stock, which coincidentally she was knocking out a century ride on in the New Forest yesterday.

I would think common sense would tell me that I am looking to buy a bike, I research the ones I earmark as a possibility and go to the manufacturers websites. I then look at the geometry for my size and see if it will fit.

Then instead of just randomly looking at any bike I would first decide what type of bike I want - more aggressive or relaxed geometry. I then again research the types of bikes that fit that description and look for them only. If you were looking to buy a car you wouldn't just look at the price tag first you decide what fits your needs and work on that. Bikes are no different.
  • kingrollo
    Daniel B wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    w1lz wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

My worry with that is there of so many versions of the same bike. Trek Domaine seems to range from £700 - to £7k ! - so would you be comparing like with like ?

I would think common sense would tell me that I am looking to buy a bike, I research the ones I earmark as a possibility and go to the manufacturers websites. I then look at the geometry for my size and see if it will fit.

Then instead of just randomly looking at any bike I would first decide what type of bike I want - more aggressive or relaxed geometry. I then again research the types of bikes that fit that description and look for them only. If you were looking to buy a car you wouldn't just look at the price tag first you decide what fits your needs and work on that. Bikes are no different.