Increasing Epicon fork travel to 140mm

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
....from 120mm currently (Carrera Fury). Has anyone experienced any negatives in doing this?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How do you plan to do it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gobs
    The earlier Epicon forks have an internal travel adjustment 100/120/140 depending on the bike they were sold with. The Fury's geometry should allow the 140mm setting without an issue. There are people that have done it, but no one's reported any problems so I'm keen to see if anyone regrets doing it. It's a case of popping the fork lowers off and re-inserting a pin. Easier than it sounds no doubt :lol:

https://muddygoose.wordpress.com/2012/10/27/adjusting-the-travel-on-the-suntour-epicon-x2/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That frame is designed for 100-120mm forks so 140mm is going to be a bit of a stretch.

Also the longer travel Epicon (130-140mm) aren't renowned for being particularly rigid, you may well lose more than you'll think you'll gain.

Its also possible an OE fork can't be extended.

All round I wouldn't.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gobs
    Interesting, thanks
  • Just open it and have a look. I bought my epicon from china on ebay. Take off the lowers (video on youtube ). There is a spring with a washer on the end held by a pin. Knock it out with the correct tool or a Philips screw driver you don't need. Move the pin to the top hole.
    Reassemble.
    I did this on my voodoohoodoo designed for 120 mm forks. It's transformed the bike. It initially made the steering twitchy with 680 bars. So I put on 760 bars and I now live the bike again.
    They aren't super stiff but it's a far more supple feel and the head angle and wide bars make it great fun in the decents. It's a great Bacup bike for me
  • Gobs
    I'm a shortarse with a short reach so the forward XC body position isn't really me. Upright makes me feel far more comfortable on the descents, and as it was a free tweak I thought I'd investigate