This is a strange one = a Click Tap Knock

Moreyn
Moreyn Posts: 124
edited September 2016 in Workshop
OK, I'd best explain,

Bike had a clicking when riding out of saddle; So, I got fed up and decided to change the bottom bracket; but that didn't cure it (still click - tap -knock) when riding out of saddle, tried new chain, then new cassette, even tried replacing all the chainset fixings and greased them all!

Then I discovered; that when twisting the handlebars from side to side while riding slowly; the clicking noise was prominent.
So, I stripped out the forks; removed the bearings, cleaned and greased, then replaced them - adjusted correctly; and would you believe it? The click tap or knock is still there!

The only thing I've discovered is; it's definitely in the headset of my Ridley X Ride (FSA Bearings) look and feel perfect) should I replace the headset bearings? or could it be something else in the fork or headset?

This bike has never been abused, I don't even ride it in the rain or wet-damp weather, bike is in beautiful condition except for the Click tap knock. Any help in finding the culprit noise would be appreciated.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You sure you've properly preloaded the headset to remove all play? Make sure the bung isn't being pulled up the headtube when you tighten the topcap. Have you got enough clearance between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem or uppermost spacer?

With everything tightened up, grab the front brake and rock the bike backwards and forwards. Any movement, clunking etc?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Cables moving against each other and/or the frame stops.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Moreyn
    Moreyn Posts: 124
    Gentlemen, I truly thank you for your replies; although, from what I'd written; I assumed that you would have deduced that my mechanical knowledge of building bicycles is (without wishing to praise oneself) top notch!
    There is no play in the forks; I've not over tightened anything; and there is a little cable slap, but not making the noise that I'm experiencing from the headset, forks, or possibly the handlebars or stem.
    I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this kind of noise? It's getting difficult to find and eliminate.
    I really do appreciate your input and suggestions.
  • Something I've overlooked in the past, and done the same trouble shooting as yourself, is checking that the quick-release skewers were tight enough. I assume you'll have tried this, but worth a try if you haven't.
  • It's a subsurface crack propagating in the head tube. Best just bin the bike and buy another one.