RockShox Monarch RT3

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All.

My sons RockShox Monarch RT3 is very slowly loosing a little air, over around a month it will loose around 20 psi would you think this is a problem now or in the future or just keep adding some air once a month.

Is there anything to check ?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How have you checked its losing pressure?

Are you aware that every time you connect a gauge it looses pressure as it fills the gauge?

Easiest check is on the (cheaply and easily replaceable) valve.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or do an air can service if it's a year or more old. £15 for seals etc and takes half an hour, including a tea break.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thank you for the replies, I noticed the drop in air to start with as his sag had increased and then checked what the pressure was at, he's quite light in weight and for 30% sag he needs 70 psi and it dropped to 50 psi, I will try the valve first as when we got the bike there wasn't a valve cap on the shock and then go onto a service if this doesn't work, thanks again.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ignoring the sag change, it can easily lose 10psi+ just from connecting the gauge, try it straight after setting a pressure to check what you get.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.