Advice Required: Specialized AWOL 2015, or Specialized Langster 2016, for First New Bike?

Angelomedi
Angelomedi Posts: 2
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
I've been basically riding shit bikes all of my lifetime. I started riding BMX when I was a 6 year old kid, then traded that for a shitty mountain bike when I was 14, then traded that for an old rusted road bike, which was converted to fixed gear when I was 17, which ive used since then, im 21 now. I just moved to Mexico City, and its been amazing, it was almost impossible riding everywhere on a bicycle where I used to live, and now, it is extremely fun and challenging. I used to ride a motorcycle to move around and several short trips when I lived there, (2 months ago now) and even though I miss riding my motorcycle a lot, transporting myself on a bicycle has turned out to be essential. Also, I work as a bicycle messenger now, and my fixed gear has been working fine. Now that I cycle much more, or maybe the same amount but I guess more constantly, I was thinking of buying my first new bike, and im hoping this bike to last for at least another 10 years, with good, everyday, all day, rough use.The type of riding im doing right now is basically for work (carrying several small items, most of the times not that far) transporting myself in the city (sometimes 30km a day when going to several places) night rides with a fixed gear club (semi-endurance rides, maybe 30-40km/hr sustained most of the times, throughout the city, and therefore traffic jams, which also done at day) some 100km rides on weekends, (maybe twice a month only) and ive been planning some short trips to small towns around the country, with camping along the way, mixed terrain sometimes. I enjoy riding fixed gear a lot and wont be quitting anytime soon, but I also feel like I need a more useful bike, which will hopefully make me a better rider. In that note, I also have a doubt that, if my objective is that to improve my mental state throughout physical performance, then I should be getting instead of an all purpose bike, a good track bike, which could be used at the local velodrome (which id looove to ride but need a track bike for that) and maybe the track bike could also work for those longer trips, also with camping and mixed terrain. I do understand its not designed for that but since my ugly old road bike converted fixed gear has worked decently for that, I assume it would be a lot better on a good track bike.

So, my goal here is to improve my performance, and to have a trustworthy machine that will allow me to get to strange places, and of course relaxed rides which I enjoy a lot as well.
I have two considerations so far, (which will be denoted in a bit) but I also have certain restrictions, one of those is of course, the $. My dad made me an offer to buy my motorcycle (even though its under his name and he got it for me), which I have the chance to bring here but havent done that because ive been enjoying riding bicycle here and havent had the need to use my motorcycle so far, even though i do think it could be useful, despite of having to pay for gas, certaing government regulations, parking, storing and so on, for those short trips, it could possibly work as well. If i sell it to him, i will have enough money to spend on, either a good track bike, or an all purpose bike, or also, maybe other option would be better but havent thought of that yet, hopefully I can get some assistance on that.

So, lets say I do convince myself to sell my motorcycle, which is not an aaaamazing bike, but nor it is a bad bike (it is exactly a reliable 2012 Yamaha FZ-16, not extremely fast or beautiful as I would like, but it does the job, and does not require that much of maintenance, of course the basic stuff, but good quality, thats what im trying to express) and also Ive decided to use the $ on a good bike. My two considerations so far (hopefully I can get assistance on this as well) are:

Specialized AWOL 2015

PROS
Seems like it will last several years, looks decent, not that flashy, interesting gearing, possibility of belt driven system or internal gearing, width clearence for different tires, pannier, rack ready. Tested it the other day for a very little time, and felt good, hopefully it rides well on the stretch. If i get this, i think id use it also for work, only sometimes i guess, since i think i could still use my present bike for that, of course transporting myself through the city and those longer rides, which do include mixed terrain, not that harsh, but the geometry looks that can take those paths without much of a hassle.

CONS
Not the most equipped version of AWOLs, it would be the cheapest one actually, also due to the year, only 7 left in all Mexico. Sora groupset, which i've understood its not The best, but also not the worst, still entry level it seems. But then again, i havent had a good decent bike in all of my riding days, so I think it would feel extremely fresh and comfortable for me. Another con: much heavier than it looks. Its a CroMo frame (Reynolds tubing seems nice though) but weighs around nearly 13kg, which is almost the weight of my current bike, but my bike does not have gears or brakes. Im not sure if that weight could work for my goal to "improve my performance" or maybe it will, considering how aluminum or carbon frames have not been around forever and ive seen people do magic on steel-not-so-light frames, -metaphorically speaking- (or not?) but still, for the price and the "newness" of it, I was expecting a little weight difference. Going this route would mean, losing hope for me going into the velodrome (or at least, until I save up for a decent track bike) but would mean also mean more comfort, and more chances of exploring.

My apparent second option is also from Specialized:

Specialized Langster 2016

PROS
Way more fast, meaning performance will be the objective set here, light as needed, not much additions needed, simple. I still think this bike could work for those longer than usual trips, maybe not that comfortable as the AWOL, or any other singlespeeded or road bike definitely, but way more challenging and fast. Possible entry to the local velodrome, and great for city riding i might assume. Have only participated in one alleycat on this city so far and definitely will be going to the following ones, this bike would be suitable for that. (Really don't want to brag but on that one I got way before lots of dudes who had good bikes, some of them might have been strictly posers but hopefully not the most of them, also the purpose of this apparent brag is only to express how the Langster might actually help me on achieving better places on these alleycats, which potentially means free stuff, hehe.)

CONS
No offroad riding. Not what im super into at the moment but I do like going to trails sometimes, and there are some interesting places around here that would be cool to go and discover. Still not sure if track bikes work good for long distances, due to comfort and where to carry stuff, they're simply not designed for it, unlike a road bike. But still, gears have not been at all times and even some Tour de France were all done on fixed gear bikes.

Of course there other ways to go on here, lots of options, one of those is simply just saving up for one of these bikes, without having to sell my motorcycle, or a cheaper bike, but, to be honest, that will happen in a much distant future considering how im basically settling on this city, how impatient I am, and other interests. Also I do think quality is essential on some stuff, and since cycling is definitely a prioritized passion for me, I feel it as a necessity. Definitely there is a constant autorefutation to that, in which im trapped on a consumist state, but sometimes, i daydream about it a lot it eventually bothers me. Still, I just want to take the better decision here, but i kind of need assistance on that.

Sorry for describing eeeeverything, and thanks in advance.