Convert 3x9 --> 1x11 or 12

Senninha
Senninha Posts: 6
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My very old and much loved hardtail is due some new drivetrain bits and a new BB, and I was interested to shift over to a 1x setup as part of the whole service.

Currently it's
Shimano XT triple front (44 / 3x / 22), and XT 9 speed rear cassette
Shimano ES51 BB with Hollowtech (not II) octalink cranks.

My interest would be to try and get much the same gear range, but keeping the climbing side as much the same as I can (I'm not too much fussed how fast I can go down fire roads!). Reading on the forum it seems at least Shimano 11 speed would fit onto my freehub body - if I wanted to use something like SRAM version (11 speed or Eagle) it would need an XD driver?

Would I be right in thinking that something like the Shimano XT 11-46 would be a straightforward change?

Regarding BB, presumably the ES51 style of BB can't be used with a single front chainring? I imagine I could simply remove my big and small chainrings and simply run the middle ring - however if I'm changing and I need to replace the BB anyway, might I be better to change over to a different style of BB?

Appreciate any advice to see which is best way to go. Very tempted by SRAM 12 speed (Eagle), but not sure what I'd need to do at the BB to get that working.

Many thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Comments

• No-one any knowledge on this? I'm searching around the forums more, but I'm as uncertain as before, especially on BB aspect (keeping same BB seems to limit drivetrain options, but to change BB, what other option can replace the Shimano cartridge type).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can keep your BB and cranks and just replace the rings with a single, if you want to change then Shimnao HT2 is the best bet, external BB in the same shell.

You're current lowest gear is 22/34, so an 11 speed with a 42t and a 30t chainring will be about one gear off matching your current lowest gear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Also consider changing your middle ring to an NW ring for a single ring set up on the front as this will give greater chain retention. Superstar have some good deals on these at present. Need to know BCD which is almost certainly 104, number of teeth - already suggested at 30 and colour!!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: