Claud Butler D24 or Carerra Sulcata?

alisoncat
alisoncat Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I wonder if anyone can help with my difficult decision? I'm a Mum who goes mountain biking with husband and 9 year old. We do some moderate forest trails as well as easier trails. I don't have a big budget unfortunely so have narrowed my search to two bikes. One is the Carerra Sulcata and the other is a second hand Claud Butler Cape Wrath D24. Both look OK for my budget so I can't decide which one!! The second hand Butler is in super condition. Hope you can help!!! I'm exhausted trying to decide and need an expert opinion please. Many thanks!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Spec wise there is little in them - both have fairly similar components (there are a few years of the Cape Wrath D24, but with little variation). However the Sulcata is a 29er - this larger wheelsize rolls better over bumps, but is heavier than the D24 by a kilo or so.

I wouldn't pay more than about £125 for a 2nd hand D24 though.
  • Thank you for that! The D24 is £120 so your price was spot on! I was worried about the quality of a Halfords Carerra and its durability too...I know Cape Wrath has had a good reputation over the years....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Quality wise they are pretty similar - though the Sulcata will be newer so I imagine a bit more life in the parts. I'd simply go for what fits/feels best.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Quality wise they are pretty similar - though the Sulcata will be newer so I imagine a bit more life in the parts. I'd simply go for what fits/feels best.

I tried the Carerra sulcata in halfords today . Wow those 29" wheels feel BIG! (I'm only 5'2"!). I am wondering how I'd manage to manuvre the bike round forest hairpin bends! Yikes! It was only in a shop, but it felt tricky to turn round right corners. I am now wondering whether the Cape Wrath might be better....the Wrath has hydrolic brakes and slightly better components.....
  • You don't need to ride around bends and corners on a 29er, you ride over and through them. :wink:
    29ers take some getting used to, especially if you have come from a 26" wheel size like I did. Took me a few test rides to get used to the riding position when cornering.
    I found that changing to wider bars helped me. Once I got used to it, I was able to get around the hairpins on my local trails without trouble.

But ultimately, go with your gut. If you had concerns with the 29er, it may not be for you - many of my riding group have stuck with 26" wheels.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)