geometry

dartmoorcyclist
dartmoorcyclist Posts: 33
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I have only a rudimentary understanding of geometry, so forgive me if this a bit basic - can some one tell me if I am comfortable (I am, very) on the 50cm Genesis Equilibrium, then I will also be comfortable on the Ridgeback panorama 47cm frame. The frame alone is for sale and I am thinking of building myself a touring bike.

Key geometry below (first is my 50cm genesis, second is 47cm ridgeback):
Effective top tube 530, 535
Seat tube 470, 470
headtube 125, 100
Head angle 72, 71
Seat angle 74, 74.5
Chainstay, 415, 450

Buying a 47cm frame doesn't sound right for my height (5foot4) but the geometry is markedly similar.

I know, I should get to a shop with a built 47cm Ridgeback panorama and try it out, but that is not as easy as it sounds, and the frame is on offer so may go... (Reynolds 853, the deluxe panorama 2015 model).

Thank you for any assistance,

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Don't worry about the frame size designation being different between the Genesis and the Ridgeback, as you have concluded they are reasonably close. The main difference is the head Tube length, 25mm shorter on the Ridgeback, so you will need to use that amount of spacers to make up the difference, if you want your bars at the same height as your Genesis. Make sure the fork has a long enough steerer tube to allow for this.

The Ridgeback top tube is a smidge longer and chainstays are longer, as you would expect on a touring bike, I would say that you would be ok with it.
  • Try and get the stack and reach figures for both. Everything else can be misleading.

Have a read of this:

http://mx.cervelo.com/en/engineering/th ... d-fit.html
  • Thanks, that's helpful.