Anyone bought wheels from China on ebay?

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Thinking about getting some cheap carbon wheels on ebay. Has anyone any experiences of doing so?
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/cycling-cycling

Thinking about a set for crit racing, a set for TTs and a set for disc braked commuter.

Comments

• Recently bought some chinese/far east tubular rims hanbuilt in this country with sapim cx-ray spokes and novatec hubs.

They are totally awesome and worth the premium. 1260g :-) Running with Mavic yellow brake pads.
  • Recently bought some chinese/far east tubular rims hanbuilt in this country with sapim cx-ray spokes and novatec hubs.

They are totally awesome and worth the premium. 1260g :-) Running with Mavic yellow brake pads.

Do you mind sharing who you purchased them from?
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    Thinking about getting some cheap carbon wheels on ebay. Has anyone any experiences of doing so?
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/cycling-cycling

Thinking about a set for crit racing, a set for TTs and a set for disc braked commuter.

They are identical to the Zuus and another brand... they are most likely the same thing without a Uk valid warranty
    left the forum March 2023
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Lot of my friends have purchased from this place:- http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-mountain-bike
    so far all been happy with their purchases.
  • My cycling buddy bought some. Amazing price, looked the part. They didn't look the part when the rim failed after about 10 rides.
  • Yes mine lasted about 2 years before the novatech hub cracked through a spoke hole.
    11218619_10205597456111663_6791984263906187320_n_zpsnc6ejro8.jpg
  • andi1363 wrote:
    Yes mine lasted about 2 years before the novatech hub cracked through a spoke hole.

Or about 30,000 miles? :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bought these from Aliexpress.

wheels.png

Done around 1000 miles on them so far,they have been very good.

1600g in weight

Cost including import duties £253
  • pazzar wrote:
    Bought these from Aliexpress.

wheels.png

Done around 1000 miles on them so far,they have been very good.

1600g in weight

Cost including import duties £253

The Mavic lookalike sticker is delightful...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Carbon zone 60mm tubs - used for training, racing, commuting and posing for years without a glitch.

Brilliant prices, service and delivery.

But hey, some people won't be happy unless there are hand builds on a steel frame ......',
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    Carbon zone 60mm tubs - used for training, racing, commuting and posing for years without a glitch.

But hey, some people won't be happy unless there are hand builds on a steel frame ......',
    Slightly off topic, what's your puncture rate commuting on tubs? Do you repair them yourself?
  • brit66 wrote:
    Carbon zone 60mm tubs - used for training, racing, commuting and posing for years without a glitch.

Slightly off topic, what's your puncture rate commuting on tubs? Do you repair them yourself?

I use Continental Sprinters at £20/25 a pop taped on - one puncture in 4 years. As they are taped on I just rip them off and put another one 5 minute job. I must admit that I did just fill it full of slime and a year later throw the old tub away as it was worn out.

I'd rate them over clinchers as a) they seem more puncture resistant and b) you can ride on them when they are flat.

I also use Really expensive Vittorias on the better bike - wouldn't use them for commuting as they need pumping up every second day and I'm too disorganized for that :)

Now I've typed that I'm off to get 27 punctures ..........

I didn't start using them to make a point - My clinchers were broken one day so I used a set of my tub carbons and have just kept with it - they feel nicer, roll nicer and make me feel nice which, at the end of a crappy day, is what it's all about.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I use Continental Sprinters at £20/25 a pop taped on - one puncture in 4 years. As they are taped on I just rip them off and put another one 5 minute job. I must admit that I did just fill it full of slime and a year later throw the old tub away as it was worn out.

I'd rate them over clinchers as a) they seem more puncture resistant and b) you can ride on them when they are flat.

I also use Really expensive Vittorias on the better bike - wouldn't use them for commuting as they need pumping up every second day and I'm too disorganized for that :)

Now I've typed that I'm off to get 27 punctures ..........

I didn't start using them to make a point - My clinchers were broken one day so I used a set of my tub carbons and have just kept with it - they feel nicer, roll nicer and make me feel nice which, at the end of a crappy day, is what it's all about.

Interesting stuff. One puncture in four years is exceptional although they seem to be less prone to punctures based on the anecdotal stuff I've read on here over the years. Hope I haven't jinxed you!

Been thinking about Chinese 60 mm tubs for racing / tting next year for the ride quality and safety benefits.

I could never bring myself to spend £500 or more on branded tubs as I don't believe the real world differences would be noticeable enough to me to justify the costs. And why not train and commute on them too, especially if you can repair them yourself, which is something I would attempt even though I didn't when I rode tubs for a short time 20 years ago,