Planet X clothing quality?

stuart_c-2
stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Looking at getting some new winter kit. I have a load of Evans vouchers to burn so was planning on getting some Endura Thermolites bib tights for about £80 (previous Endura stuff I have had has lasted well). Had an email through from Planet X and they have their own brand winter tights down to about £32 with discounts codes. What are peoples experiences of quality in comparison to bigger brands? Obviously if the £50 can be put to use elsewhere that's great but if they're only good for 1 winter then might as well burn the vouchers.

Thanks in advance.

Stu
"I ride to eat"

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've their windproof tights for winter. I think they've lasted me a couple of years now. I'd give them a go.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Planet X stuff is always discounted, the winter tights go down to about £20, and I don't think they've ever sold a pair at RRP. The prices go up and down like a yo-yo but I don't think £32 is particularly great considering most of the time they are less than that.

I had a pair of Echostorms which were very warm and with a decent (if thick) pad. But the fit was strange, baggy round the ankles, and the ankle zip broke after about 6 months.

Planet X own brand stuff can be very hit and miss, often good fabrics and crap fit or stitches that come apart etc. But it can be very cheap on the right special offer. I rate my Decathlon 500 series tights better in fit and quality, if not warmth and they are only £26. I managed to pick up up pair of Castelli Velocissmo 2s for £34 last week by stacking a 15% off e-voucher on a clearance deal, and they are in a totally different ball park altogether for quality.
  • stuyd
    stuyd Posts: 207
    it's their customer service that's shocking, i had a long running battle with them as did one of my club mates.

"They are the sports direct of cycling" and thats a quote from the guy in the help center.
    time to man up.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I bought some of their long and short sleeved jerseys a while ago in one of their many sales. £15 / £10 respectively, so I wasn't expecting much, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the fit, quality and longevity.

I got fed up with being plastered in PX / On-One logos though and passed them on to my son who's still using them.

I have a pair of their basic £10 neoprene overshoes still going strong after 5 winters
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've bought a fair bit of clothing from them and it's all been good quality nice kit.
    One jersey stitching started to come undone after 2 rides and a couple of weeks, a quick email and it was sent back and replaced with a new one (took about a week all in all)

I'm very happy with them and their customer service.
  • I've had a fair bit of kit and its all been decent stuff, some has been exceptional for the money.
    No problems at all with their customer service, I had a wheel rim failure and I've returned goods and I've always had professional and fair service.
    I'd say they're every bit as good as any other big shop.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    It is hit an miss, im getting a bit fed up with being plastered in the branding, As mentioned Decathlon is good plus you can actually go look an try most of the kit on first. Bonus for me shops opened locally recently so I can dive in an get emergency gumph.
  • I have had a merino wool jersey for the last 6or7 years, excellent!
    I bought some mitts, awful, worst cycling buy ever.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Definitely hit and miss. I've got some winter bib tights from them and they have been superb, really warm and still like new had them a couple of years now. However I also bought a planet x branded long sleeve base layer which literally started falling apart after a few rides.
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    As has been said - hit and miss; and the quoted RRP might as well be fiction, as they always 'discount' stuff. Had a long sleeve top from them that was red and white, and the red colour started to bleed into the white after the first wash. Had gloves from them that were junk. Got some merino arm warmers that seem OK so far, certainly warm and a nice fit and seem to be lasting. So, a mixed bag.

Their customer service and interpretation of consumer law, however, and absolutely dreadful in my experience. I would never buy anything of value from them due to a shocking experience a couple of years ago.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    One thing in their favour is the big warehouse just off the M1 in Rotherham - I nip into it sometimes when visiting my mum & dad. So if you're passing you can go in and have a look and feel of the stuff and see what looks decent and what looks dud.
    In respect of their own brands clothing, last time I went in there I felt virtually everything was in the latter category! Strange fits, garish colours and too many logos, and you can see very quickly how laughable the RRPs that they've never really sold at actually are. To be fair I have had more luck with accessories, particularly the arm warmers and caps.
    It isn't always obvious whether stitches or zips will fall apart in the shop, which is the other problem I've had as it seems many other people have too.
  • Again, hit and miss. Some quite good, some very average and some complete s*ite. Had a pair of toe covers, no idea what they were made from but it had absolutely no stretch at all so they just fell off as soon as you put them on and I think by the time I'd walked the bike from the house to the road they'd worn through already. On the other hand I've got a synthetic winter base layer and the infamous 'flanders' merino socks and they're both awesome.

For my money, I'd swerve it in 99% of cases and if on a budget go with Wiggles DHB stuff every time. That on the other hand, is anything but hit and miss. I think everything I've ever bought from one of Wiggles own brands (DHB, Lifeline etc.) has far exceeded my expectations of quality considering the price.