Pedal stuck on crank (8mm thread chewed)

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited September 2016 in Workshop
So, friend asked me to have a look at his pedals hes got some new ones an the old ones wont budge. Basically hes tried taking them off with an 8mm key ruined the thread.
I took it to my LBS for him they couldnt get it off with a vice an heat, any ideas? I contemplated drilling through it with a bit then shaving out the remaining innards but, well thats a lot of work.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2016
    If putting the old pedal in a vice, soaking everything in plus-gas or similar, heating the crank and then exerting rotational force via the crank didn't work, drilling may be the only option. If risking the crank is an option you could try using a hammer on the crank to 'break the seal' - again after having fixed the pedal in a vice, or find a long metal tube (scaffolding pole?) to improve the leverage you can exert......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I assume a modern day crankset...so get another.. and write down some tips on how to look after things for him.
    or
    Can you use a pedal spanner on these pedals? if so there are some very good spanners that give a lot of mechanical advantage in removing.
    If he had Vectors / Be Pros he be looking after them a bit/a lot better........
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you mean the hex socket in the end of the axle is mangled, or the threads in the end of the crank?

If you can strip the pedal from it's axle, clamp that in a vice and you should be able to unscrew the crank from it.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Should of explained a little better, Crank its an Ultegra 6800 with a XT M8000 SPD on it. I stripped the pedal to a bare axle which is just round no notching etc.

Since then weve had it in a vice again but this time with a 9mm hex socket hammered in as the 8mm thread was ruined a 3ft breaker bar and it didn't shift so ended up seeing a friend who has a machine shop, chopped down the axle and used a cobalt drillbit close to the size of the crank and breaking out the remains of the hardened steel axle. Needed a quick retap mainly to clean up the threads.

Moral of the story, don't use cheap tools or do things up past the torque settings.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    Step83 wrote:
    Moral of the story, don't use cheap tools or do things up past the torque settings.

and put a bit of antiseize on pedal threads (and bb threads) :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny