Best non-Lezyne mini pump for removeable core valves (tubeless)

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Not sure if this is the best place for this post but here goes...
Wasn't really in the mood for this evenings ride but forced myself out of the door. Decided to mix it up a bit so took my single speed gravel bike, running tubeless 40mm tyres @ 25 psi. 45 minutes in, huge grin on face blasting down offroad tracks through the woods as the sun is going down. "Great, let's head back on the roads" thinks I, "right after I've put a bit more air in my tyres for the blacktop"

Out comes my trusty Lezyne Pressure Drive (the one with the flexible hose). Pump rear tyres up a little, twist the hose to disengage it from the valve and, yes, you guessed it....unscrew the removable core from the Stans valve :shock: :oops: :cry: Tyre deflates rapidly, bead unseats from rim. No way I'm getting the tyre back on with the Lezyne pump. Mobile out, call for lift as darkness descends!

So, are there any mini pumps out there that work better with valves with removable cores, or is there a particular technique to stop the valve core unscrewing as you unscrew the pump connector? Ideally don't want to be in that particular pickle again... :oops: cheers

EDIT: now see that Lezyne themselves acknowledge the issue, and recommend putting threadlocker on the valve. I'd rather have a different pump for my lower pressure tyres. Any recommendations?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• If you screw your valve cores in tightly beforehand, they don’t come out. At least if you finish in this order: (1) push ABS button to release pressure in hose, (2) unscrew hose from pump, and only then (3) unscrew hose from valve.

Alternatively, some Lezyne pumps (my Road Drive, for example), come with a hose like this, one end of which slips onto the valve instead of screwing. You can choose which end to use. If you use choose the slip end, which works fine, there’s obviously no chance of unscrewing the valve core.

Lezyne mini-pumps are excellent for what they are, but if you can put up with a little more weight and bulk, the Zéfal HPX frame pump works much better in every way.
  • luv2ride
    If you screw your valve cores in tightly beforehand, they don’t come out. At least if you finish in this order: (1) push ABS button to release pressure in hose, (2) unscrew hose from pump, and only then (3) unscrew hose from valve.

Alternatively, some Lezyne pumps (my Road Drive, for example), come with a hose like this, one end of which slips onto the valve instead of screwing. You can choose which end to use. If you use choose the slip end, which works fine, there’s obviously no chance of unscrewing the valve core.

Lezyne mini-pumps are excellent for what they are, but if you can put up with a little more weight and bulk, the Zéfal HPX frame pump works much better in every way.

Thanks that. My Pressure drive doesn't have the ABS hose, but see its available separately. May be that's the trick I'm missing. I'll also make sure the valve cores are also done up tight in future. I do have a Zefal HPX but it'll only fit my winter bike. This'll be for my Pro 6 and the singlespeed gravel bike, as they both run tubeless big tyres.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The ABS hose can still untighten valves even after pressing the release button if its been tightened on too tight.

The trick is to pre-tighten the stans valve, grease the threads on the stans valve, and dont screw the lezyne hose on so tight at all. As soon as it stop turning and creates an air seal,that is sufficient.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Just tighten the valve with needle nose pliers, mine never come out now and i always use lezyne screw on pumps.
  • luv2ride
    Figured I'd order the ABS speed hose anyway (the one with a non-screw Presta fitting as well as the screw end). Don't want to take chances out in the wilds miles from civilisation! Almost a tenner though, sheesh...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,134
    do the valves up tight, they'll stay put, i've used lezyne screw-on pumps for years with no problem (once i'd learned to do the valves up tight!)

or get the right-angle slip-chuck, it presses on, though it may blow off at high pressures with smooth stems/extenders (use an elastic band to keep it on), i have one on my travel pump as the abs it came with didn't work well with some valve/extender combinations

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/lezyn ... esta-only/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Topeak Mini Morph. Similar size and weight to the Lezyne equivalent, but its flexi hose has a push-on attachment to the valve, not screw-on. I used one for several winters with 100% reliability.

All very well saying to tighten the cores but if it's freezing cold and dark you want a solution that can be completely relied upon to not unscrew the valve core.

Or use valves with no removable core?
  • Lezyne Road Drive user here. If you just allow the valve to cool down for 20s before removing the screw-on hose, the valve core will not come out.
  • You can buy a a little adaptor that screws on to the Lezyne and turns it into a push on chuck. Its called a Speed Chuck. £2.99. I think any Lezyne pumps that have the screw on chuck now ship with one of these.
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Lezyne ... lsrc=aw.ds
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo