Elite Chrono trainer question

peteco
peteco Posts: 184
I have a 4 year old Elite Chrono Elasto Gel Fluid trainer, which I have used relatively lightly up until recently, but it is getting more use as I have started using Trainerroad.

I have noticed that the resistance from the trainer sometimes varies randomly, and it is particularly noticeable when pedalling at lower power during recovery intervals. It's not a massive variation.

The resistance of the trainer is not adjustable, and this isn't all in my head, as I see a change in reading from my power meter for the same cadence when this happens. There is nothing that indicates that this increase/decrease in resistance is being caused by the bike.

Has anyone else seen this, and could it be a sign that the trainer is on its way out ?

Thanks,

Pete

Comments

• Hi Pete,

I have the same trainer, and the same issues! I found it would settle down after about 15 minutes but it's a horrible trainer.

I took delivery of a wahoo kickr last Monday and it's like a dream compared to the elite. It actually feels like your riding on the road, as opposed to peddling through treacle.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I have the same. Before I got a PM I used to do a fitness test a bit like an FTP. 20 mins, same gear on the bike each time and see how far I would go from the Garmin data. I always thought I was dying massively when it came to the last 5/10 mins or so.

It can be 100 watts ish difference. Shocking.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Thanks for the feedback folks. Looks like I need to start looking for something that doesn't have these variations. This characteristic certainly makes it more difficult to hold a steady power.

Pete