Repairing an aluminium frame

mcvw
mcvw Posts: 270
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm considering buying a used - but damaged - 2015 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 frame, which I would then build up to my own spec.

The frame was dented/damaged after a collision with a rock about 10 months ago by the original/current owner. It was ridden ever since - without any noticeable problems. However, Canyon will not replace the frame via their warranty scheme and as such the owner has bought a new frame which they transferred the components to.

Below is a link to some photo's of the damage:

http://s179.photobucket.com/user/mcvwuk/library/Spectral

Should I forget about this frame, or is it a good and safe (once repaired) prospect?

Thank you,

Mike
2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
On One 4560b

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    What kind of repairs are you thinking about? if it needs welding, walk away....

eta - I think if it came at the right price I'd ride it as it is based on the photos.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Before you go buying it, is the frame still structurally sound, are all the tubes and brackets square/true (not mis-shapen)?

From the pictures the dent doesn't look too bad at all - I can quite believe the current rider has used it for 10 months. But any repair, short of replacing the whole tube, is going to require some cosmetic cover-up. Most, if not all, tubes on a frame are double or even triple butted, ie. they have tubes of smaller diameter inside at the ends to spread load, so tube replacement is agg!

I guess the dent could be cut out, a new piece of metal could be welded in place, and then filed and sanded smooth, and then lightly sanded and lacquered to give that same brushed ally look, but that's a hell of a lot of work and good looking results certainly aren't guaranteed.

This leaves filling and painting - if the tube, and indeed the whole frame, is straight and true then this is a likely option, but you must be sure it is structurally sound, for any of the above!

If it is a decent price, take the risk. Only you can decide this.

Good luck.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    hard to tell from the pics - but I think I'd just ride it. Can't see the repair is worth it.
  • You can't repair a dent. Cutting it out to weld in a new piece will be weaker than the dent.
    Welds in aluminium frames are never as strong as the original material due to heat treatment that frames receive after welding at the factory.
    I'm not surprised Canyon wouldn't replace it under warranty, it's certainly not faulty material or manufacturing. It's quite obviously been hit by a big rock.. It's like hitting a wall in your car and then claiming the repairs under warranty.
    If the dent is well away from any bends in the tube or welds then it should be fine. My bike has a big dent in the down tube and it's been fine for a year of hard riding.
    Make a low offer for it. A few hundred max.
  • mcvw
    Hi,

Thanks for all the comments - all of this advice is extremely helpful.

SME: When you say you can’t believe the owner has ridden it for 10 months, why is that? Does it look bad - or ?

In terms of repair, I had thought it might just need to be welded (after reading various articles on the web regarding aluminium frame repairs) - though I guess it depends how much a repair of this nature might cost.

The damage is on the lower side of the down tube - upwards from the bottom bracket, but before the bend where the tube leads up to the head tube.

I have asked if there is any other damage/distortion and the owner has said there is not. Unfortunately the frame isn’t nearby so I’m relying upon the owner’s responses (and honesty).

The seller is looking for around £200 - would that be a fair value based upon the ‘known damage’?

Cheers,

Mike
    On One 4560b
  • Sounds fair, as long as it includes the shock.
    A weld will only make it weaker and make it much more likely to crack. Ride it as it is and it'll most likely be absolutely fine.
    I used the weld aluminium for cryogenic systems and I would never weld a damaged frame or ride one which has been welded. Welding effectively undoes the heat treatment in the frame.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mcvw wrote:
    SME: When you say you can’t believe the owner has ridden it for 10 months, why is that? Does it look bad - or ?

The seller is looking for around £200 - would that be a fair value based upon the ‘known damage’?

Cheers,

Mike

He said can believe, not can't. Looks like a tiny ding and wouldn't worry me.

Value, who knows, but unless it includes the shock I'd think twice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcvw
    Ah yes - my bad - got tied up with trying to reply to multiple posts :)

The seller wasn't including the shock - although he said he still has it - and it's available (extra £), but I might be able to negotiate :)

Thanks again.
    On One 4560b
  • It' doesn't look like much of a dent to me, but I'm struggling with the photos. Have you seen the frame in real life? If you haven't, it would be worth requesting some photos taken from the side, rather than directly above the damage. It's difficult to tell how much of a deflection is there.
  • It's not worth it unless the shock is included and I wouldn't pay any more for it.
  • mcvw
    So... after chatting with the owner some more - they still have all the original components, and they've offered me the whole lot for £700. Waiting to hear condition of these parts, but my initial thoughts were that it didn't sound too unreasonable price for a 2015 Spectral (AL 6.0 model) :)
    On One 4560b
  • cooldad
    The story seems to have changed a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcvw
    True. The crux of the story was the repair aspect. Thank you to all who commented on this :)

Mods, please lock this thread.
    On One 4560b
  • mcvw wrote:
    Mods, please lock this thread.

They won't lock anything here. Unless someone gets really offensive.
  • cooldad
    I meant the seller's story. All the bits transferred to the new frame are now untransferred.

Whatever you do don't pay Paypal gift and hope it all arrives in the post.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd be very cautious about buying this....

Ropes you in with one deal, then tries to drop the shock out, now he has a biter he's adding all the parts transferred to his new frame back in the deal for more money!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I wouldn't touch that with a Sh!tty stick