Going tubeless??

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

After 5 punctures due to thorns and having to abandon a ride I'm considering going tubeless.

So I'm wondering I have giant sxc 2 27.5 wheels are they tubeless ready or can they be converted?

Or do I go with some slime tubes?

Any advice on the pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea without knowing what the rims are. But any can be converted. Slime tubes are heavy and a bit rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've just googled those wheels, I can find the S-XC2, that is listed as tubeless ready? Is this them?
  • cooldad
    Tubeless ready might still need rim tape, plus sealant and valves.

Only UST rims are airtight, but still need sealant and valves.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have 27.5 SXC-2 rims and they have been converted to tubeless without any problems. Obviously tape, valves and sealant were involved.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    I have 27.5 SXC-2 rims and they have been converted to tubeless without any problems. Obviously tape, valves and sealant were involved.

Thanks guys

Which tape did you use please?
  • cooldad wrote:
    No idea without knowing what the rims are. But any can be converted. Slime tubes are heavy and a bit rubbish.

I can understand they'd but heavy, why are they rubbish do they not work particularly well?
  • cooldad
    They just add weight, and only work sometimes. Use normal tubes or go tubeless.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    They just add weight, and only work sometimes. Use normal tubes or go tubeless.

Ok thanks.

I'd like to look into tubeless
  • Right given tubeless a go. Used stand valves and sealant and gaffer tape, all seemed to go pretty well.

We did my mates at the same time, same tyres but sun ringle tubeless ready wheels. His tyres 'popped' into place as we hiked up the pressure but mine didn't is this a sign of problems to come?

They are holding air fine with no leaks.

Thanks

Chris
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Some rim profiles are better than others, some run quite tight tolerances which helps when pumped up.
    If tires sealed and not leaks around the bead you should be fine, in test, hard cornering will tell
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut