Aero Wheel Comparison

23scadoo
23scadoo Posts: 35
edited September 2016 in Workshop
My wife and I just got new wheels. I got the Zipp 404 NSW and she got the Reynolds R Four (basically a rebranding of the Assaults). For fun I put both bikes up on the bike stand, put them in the highest gear and pedaled fast to see which one would free spin longer. To my surprise the R Fours lasted about 15 seconds longer than the 404's.

I'm trying to figure out why this is considering that the 404's are a much more expensive wheel and Zipp is really proud of their cognition hubset and axial clutch mechanism that's supposed to allow the wheel to spin more free.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Maybe you pedalled faster with the Reynolds.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Maybe you pedalled faster with the Reynolds.

I know the test was far less than scientific. I did run each wheel twice to see if I got the same results and each test was within a second or two of the previous.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    cheaper was heavier and more momentum ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    23scadoo wrote:
    My wife and I just got new wheels. I got the Zipp 404 NSW and she got the Reynolds R Four (basically a rebranding of the Assaults). For fun I put both bikes up on the bike stand, put them in the highest gear and pedaled fast to see which one would free spin longer. To my surprise the R Fours lasted about 15 seconds longer than the 404's.

I'm trying to figure out why this is considering that the 404's are a much more expensive wheel and Zipp is really proud of their cognition hubset and axial clutch mechanism that's supposed to allow the wheel to spin more free.

You are questioning the results of a meaninglessly-unscientific test, purely based on freewheel roll-down? No offence mate, but that's completely absurd.
  • 23scadoo wrote:

Lots, but I can't put them into words without sounding offensive or patronising... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Imposter wrote:
    23scadoo wrote:

You are questioning the results of a meaninglessly-unscientific test, purely based on freewheel roll-down? No offence mate, but that's completely absurd.

It was just something that I tried to see what would happen and was confused by the results.
  • 23scadoo wrote:

Lots, but I can't put them into words without sounding offensive or patronising... :wink:

Then don't post anything at all.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Bearing seal drag or tighter end caps or tighter skewers.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Comparison of aero wheels on a stationary bike?
  • Dowtcha wrote:

I know that wind resistance is the main point of an aero wheel. This "test" was more about seeing how well the hubs/bearing compared.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    23scadoo wrote:
    CUT

My thougts:
    See how long XXX spins in a workstand is 100% waste of time.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    23scadoo wrote:
    CUT

My thoughts:

Edit: sorry, don't have better thoughts.
  • Keezx wrote:
    23scadoo wrote:
    CUT

My thoughts:

Edit: sorry, don't have better thoughts.

Fair enough. Just thought it was a curious finding
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    23scadoo wrote:
    Dowtcha wrote:

I know that wind resistance is the main point of an aero wheel. This "test" was more about seeing how well the hubs/bearing compared.

Except it doesn't see how well the hubs/bearings compare, no wheel is ever used without the weight of the bike and your body being pulled down onto them. Your test proves absolutely nothing.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    23scadoo wrote:

Yes, you are nicely susceptible to marketing, which is great for marketing people who want to word things to get you to buy them.

There won't be a rats arse worth of real world difference between those wheelsets for 99% of the people who ever ride them.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The Zipps are clearly crap - so to save you having to dispose of them I'll take them off your hands for free :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D