Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Team Sky protectionism

MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,571
edited September 2016 in The bottom bracket
It seems that any comment that about Team Sky that isn't 100% glowing is met with fierce protectionism.

Why is this?

Discuss.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Posts

  • How dare you ! take that back !
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • I don't think that's quite the case, it will depend on the quality and content of the posts made and the arguments put forward . And therein, I would suggest, lies your problem.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    Soz MF. This has been covered ad nauseum in Po Face.

    Orica Bike Exchange seem to be the worst protagonists but...

    As regards to the actual figures of TUE use, this puts things into much better perspective, rather than the wild media frenzy/click bait/generate a story fuelled carp:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The question is though - Does cycling actually have a TUE problem?

    There are about 1200 cyclists in the UCI's Registered Testing Pool. They can only obtain a TUE from the UCI. In 2015 the UCI issued only 13.

    So that's 13 TUEs issued for 1200 cyclists. Even when you add in the cyclists who will have long term TUEs for uncureable conditions, that's a very small number. It doesn't look like a problem to me.
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • Is it fair to say that any post that ends with "Just wonderin' like ..........." isn't just wondering?
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    I think MF is stuck in yet another airport and is a bit bored but it's the tax payers money that ships him from here to there and so therefore, I think we have a right to dictate what he can and can't say. :wink:
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,632
    I have only been on this forum for a couple of months .... But in that time every thread about Sky has been along the lines of

    Froome is winning, he must be doping
    Sky were at the front, they must be doping
    Contador fell off but Froom didn't ... From must be doping
    Froome had a cold in 2014 ... Doping
    The sun rose today, Sky must be doping

    Is it any wonder they get people's backs up ??
  • 100% glowing

    See, more subtle doping references
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Protectionism : the theory or practice of shielding a country's domestic industries from foreign competition by taxing imports.

    Eh ?
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    cougie wrote:
    Protectionism : the theory or practice of shielding a country's domestic industries from foreign competition by taxing imports.

    Well, SKY is part of News Corp. which is owned by Murdoch who is Australian. See where I am coming from?
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 6,661
    pinno wrote:
    which is owned by Murdoch who is Australian born
    There, FTFY.
    The boy Rupert has been a USAnian citizen since 1985. So don't mess with those uber-protectionists, they got attitude.

    BTW Ms Hall, what was it that first attracted you to the multi-billionaire Rupert Murdoch? Ack to Mrs Merton, RIP.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    So you're saying that this is yet another case of US Protectionism?

    I call foul play and Rick Chasey to intervene.
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Sky to be replaced by HSBC as title sponsor.

    More or less ethically questionable?
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    coriordan wrote:
    Sky to be replaced by HSBC as title sponsor.

    More or less ethically questionable?

    Hmm... Interesting theoretical proposition. There's more to you than meets the eye Coriordan.
    What do you think of Lampre 'going east'?
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    I was more talking about the banks fairly lax policy to money laundering, particularly in South America.

    Mostly because I'm sure people abhor Murdoch so I hope this will ensure they remain equally riled.

    Don't know much about Lampre moving, but I'm sure the new Bahraini team will be able match them pound-for-pound on their human rights atrocities
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Sorry Pinno, seems it's just for the BC part and not necessarily the road team:
    JSCL wrote:
    Banking giants HSBC are set to replace Sky as the sponsors of British Cycling with the official announcement expected this weekend when the bank stage their first bike festival in Birmingham.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... mpics.html
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    coriordan wrote:
    Sorry Pinno, seems it's just for the BC part and not necessarily the road team:
    JSCL wrote:
    Banking giants HSBC are set to replace Sky as the sponsors of British Cycling with the official announcement expected this weekend when the bank stage their first bike festival in Birmingham.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... mpics.html

    I wonder if any cyclist has ever said that he wasn't going to sign for such n such on ethical grounds.

    So SKY feel that they have got maximum exposure and it's time to pull out. I wonder what the funding ramifications in BC there will be.
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Oh absolutely. Given the relatively short career span you gotta make hay and all that...

    I think sky were always planning on pulling out around now. According to the article HSBC have a lot of sponsorship money freed up as their Lions funding draws to a close but mentions the change of tack going from a international event to a UK only one.

    Hopefully they continue the good work.

    Edit: Full release here:

    http://po.st/HSBCandBC
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    Team SKY seems to be continuing.
    Slightly off topic: I always wondered why a) Yates never went to SKY or b) Was he ever offered a place.
    I do think he's the next best thing though. A little bit easier in front of Camera and a decent guy to boot; makes for a good PR/Marketing package.

    I guess HSBC see a huge marketing opportunity given the Track and Olympic success and potential exposure.
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Maybe didn't want to. He's not much of a classics rider and orica allow him a fairly loosen rein whereas in sky he'd just be a domestique. I know you don't venture much into pro race but he's oft discussed and the forum consensus it's that it's a good thing.

    Random question : does being part of Sky help nurture good road captains?
  • rob39rob39 Posts: 479
    fat daddy wrote:
    I have only been on this forum for a couple of months .... But in that time every thread about Sky has been along the lines of

    Froome is winning, he must be doping
    Sky were at the front, they must be doping
    Contador fell off but Froom didn't ... From must be doping
    Froome had a cold in 2014 ... Doping
    The sun rose today, Sky must be doping

    Is it any wonder they get people's backs up ??

    I blame BREXIT and the French. Anything British (or English) gets the euro's back up compounded by 7 stage wins in the TdF lol :lol: But then again I'm not a sky fan, just saying imo
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    coriordan wrote:
    Maybe didn't want to. He's not much of a classics rider and orica allow him a fairly loosen rein whereas in sky he'd just be a domestique. I know you don't venture much into pro race but he's oft discussed and the forum consensus it's that it's a good thing.

    Well I do but tend not to get dragged into some of the pettier arguments and the 'running commentary' during a race. I also find that they spoil races for me: too much anticipation, odd loyalties and analysis. I read much more than I post.
    coriordan wrote:
    Random question : does being part of Sky help nurture good road captains?

    That's a big question, don't know really - probably not.

    I'll chuck it back - does success require more than 1 or 2 team captains?
    My Dutch friend say's that Holland have never won the World Cup because there are too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. The Ajax system produces intelligent, versatile footballers. That doesn't constitute a good team though: just a bunch of players that all have their own ideas.
    SKY 'fielded' almost 2 entirely different teams for the TdF and Vuelta, 1 team leader in the shape of Froome. That's at least 16 'donkey's' to do the work. Throw maximum support behind your best rider. No Plan B. Doesn't require many 'team captains'. It does require the odd change in TL - Paris-Nice, Volta O Algarve? So long as the usual protagonists are commensurate with the plan.
    (i'll stop rambling soon) Look at the internal conflicts when you have two riders in the same team who both think they could win - regardless of team orders.
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 12,539
    pinno wrote:
    So SKY feel that they have got maximum exposure and it's time to pull out. I wonder what the funding ramifications in BC there will be.
    I cannot comment on things Worldwide but it is my belief that Britain has reached "peak cycling". If I was in the business then I'd be considering future moves.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    I reckon it's not even close. Possibly mamils may have but getting people on bikes is a way way off. As is changing attitudes
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 12,539
    coriordan wrote:
    I reckon it's not even close. Possibly mamils may have but getting people on bikes is a way way off. As is changing attitudes
    On that basis, I hope I'm wrong.
    But I am getting fewer questions asked from potential newbies.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    pblakeney wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    I reckon it's not even close. Possibly mamils may have but getting people on bikes is a way way off. As is changing attitudes
    On that basis, I hope I'm wrong.
    But I am getting fewer questions asked from potential newbies.

    Yes but that is definitely not a yardstick for cycling uptake. A short conversation with you (they usually are) and it would put them right off. :wink:
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 12,539
    Short and sweet.
    Well, short at least.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,158
    pblakeney wrote:
    Short and sweet.
    Well, short at least.

    7 words. You really are becoming a master at this Blakey.
    Are you describing your cycle rides or some dogging you did in some car park.
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard). Neill broke his collarbone.

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 12,539
    pinno wrote:
    pblakeney wrote:
    Short and sweet.
    Well, short at least.

    7 words. You really are becoming a master at this Blakey.
    Are you describing your cycle rides or some dogging you did in some car park.
    Someone once pointed out that a few of my posts only had 2 lines.
    I now make an effort. Yes, I am blaming you. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
Sign In or Register to comment.