How do people make their commutes less boring!

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
Hi been commuting for two years and just wondering how to stop the bored same old routine? I have different routes etc any ideals?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    it's 1/2 hour each way ...

You can either blast it, go a different route with challenges or just ride it straight and think of something else.

If you're after motivation - use the time to calculate what it would cost you in fuel if you drove in. Then try doing the same calculation when you're going for a quick time -it's amazing how much less "brain power" you have when you're gunning it!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've basically had the same route for 20+ years. Never occurred to me that it could become boring ?
  • My commute is never boring. I wish it were sometimes.
  • Blindfold?
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • A Garmin/Strava? I like challenging myself to beat my overall time, average speed, top speed etc
  • I had the opposite problem, I was beginning to find my general MTB riding becoming a little tedious doing the same routes all of the time. Always riding a loop type of route from home - home again.

I started commuting to work as an excuse to cycle more and increase my motivation. As a result I've now got my MTB and also a hybrid. I can choose whichever bike for the day depending on the weather. For example if it's a nice day I can take the MTB for a 9 mile XC route into work without touching a road, or if it's too muddy for that I'll take the hybrid via road/cycle lanes and light gravel paths for a 8 mile commute.

On the MTB days I extend my route home and make it into an actual XC ride. As a result my weekly time & mileage on a bike has rocketed up. I'm doing at least 16 - 18 miles a day, sometimes over 30/40 a day when extending the ride home. Plus I'm also enjoying my weekend rides more and making more effort to put the bike in the car and venture further afield.

For me commuting has given me back my cycling bug which I was loosing. It's given me a reason to ride rather than always needing the desire/motivation to ride - which in turn has increased that desire anyway!

Perhaps you could try incorporating a pleasure type ride on your way home? Or maybe try totally different routes or terrain depending on where you live and what bike you've got.

If you don't already use Strava, give it a try! It's a great motivator to help you push yourself when always doing the same route.

I find buying new toys also helps boost motivation. I've bought new rear lights & some additional clothing for the dark cold mornings as well as the hybrid. All of these things make me want to get out there which increases my enjoyment.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Strava, intervals, silly commuter racing (although apparently you have to live in South London for this), vary your bike choice, vary your route, do it all in one gear (or ride ss/fixed), follow pretty girls in floaty skirts or seethrough leggings (or reverse the gender depending on your own/your preferences), talk to other cyclists, repeatedly catch RLJers and make sarky comments, go like hell to get away from angry RLJing chavs...
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    964Cup wrote:
    Strava, intervals, silly commuter racing (although apparently you have to live in South London for this), vary your bike choice, vary your route, do it all in one gear (or ride ss/fixed), follow pretty girls in floaty skirts or seethrough leggings (or reverse the gender depending on your own/your preferences), talk to other cyclists, repeatedly catch RLJers and make sarky comments, go like hell to get away from angry RLJing chavs...

All this^ , but I fear the see through leggings may be going into hibernation in the very near future!
    Just lately I've started staying out of cycle superhighways and sticking to the road - I have great fun trying to keep up with, and sometimes even exceeding, buses, lorries, and powerful cars in the traffic.

My commute is 3 miles to my local station, a 40 min train trip and then around 6 1/2 miles the other end - not far by many standards. But I sometimes do an 'end to end' train trip and get off at the last stop going home. This gives me a nice 16 mile commute along the seafront. After a night shift, seeing the sun come up as I ride is a great sight and quite invigorating.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Strava .... Strava ..... More strava

Then get a gps with Strava live segments so you get the count down to the start and pr/Kom details and ahead/behind details

Mix this up with the different routes and everyday turns into a race
  • Some good ideals already a strava user bit difficult doing crazy racing at the time my commute starts 4.50am and this time of year the main game is dodge the pothole but I will persist in trying to vary my route not sure about a pleasure ride after a 12 hour shift...
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Take the car :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Get a fixie. Makes a nice change. I ride mine every day now so its not so much of a change as the de facto vehicle. Still, if I need a change I can ride the roadie.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Different routes for me with the aim of using every (through) road between home & work at some point in the year.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Going fixed save me from cycle boredom.
  • I extend my route home a few times per week, different routes.

I also bought some bone conduction headphones and listen to music, this was the biggest thing for me. Can of worms comment perhaps.
  • I extend my route home a few times per week, different routes.

I also bought some bone conduction headphones and listen to music, this was the biggest thing for me. Can of worms comment perhaps.

How do you find those?

I love music, but equally love having all of my senses whilst riding.

Re the commute - target different "segments" (Strava or otherwise) on different rides. I usually have to make a choice between a sprint segment and an uphill segment, keeps the brain ticking over working out which 1 to ride for and then gives a little challenge to try and beat my time on the 1 i'm after.

Having a Garmin that doesn't upload until i'm home makes the day annoying not knowing how the morning commute went though!

• How do you find those?

Absolutely love them, especially being Bluetooth. I cannot feel them on my head, I have nothing to fall out of my ears.

I can quite easily hold a conversation when they are on. I hear every car approaching from behind, maybe not as loud as if I didn't have music on (obvious I suppose really) but I haven't not heard one yet and I've had them a good few months.

I tried normal headphones years ago but dismissed listening to anything because I like to be fully aware. I wouldn't be wearing them if I thought they were dangerous in any way.

Best thing I've bought in a long while.

• How do you find those?

Absolutely love them, especially being Bluetooth. I cannot feel them on my head, I have nothing to fall out of my ears.

I can quite easily hold a conversation when they are on. I hear every car approaching from behind, maybe not as loud as if I didn't have music on (obvious I suppose really) but I haven't not heard one yet and I've had them a good few months.

I tried normal headphones years ago but dismissed listening to anything because I like to be fully aware. I wouldn't be wearing them if I thought they were dangerous in any way.

Best thing I've bought in a long while.
    They sound good, which ones have you got? (sorry for the thread de-rail)
  • BigMonka wrote:

AfterShokz Trekz Titanium
  • BigMonka wrote:

AfterShokz Trekz Titanium
    Cheers, I may try some of the cheaper Aftershokz ones.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Any BMX/pump tracks on the way? :D
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    If it's a short commute (30 mins ish) and relatively clear it's good to use as training. I test my FTP every now and then on my ~ 35 minute commute. Some days I'll try and gun for the KOM or work on my PB on Strava segments. Then on other days I just feel good about being on the bike. Very 'rinse and repeat' process for me and I find it works.