What a cracking bit of kit

lincolndave
lincolndave Posts: 9,441
edited September 2016 in Road general
I had a puncture whilst riding this afternoon, instead of repairing it on the road side I changed the inatube , I bought a co2 cylinder and valve earlier this year, so you thought I would give it a try, I am amazed inner tube up to pressure in no time, a lot easier than using the mini pump, what an excellent tool

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A lot of people find that the CO2 loses presssure with time so I'd check the tyres before you go out and pump them up if necessary. CO2 is fine for emergencies - but a track pump at home is excellent.
  • Yes , I understand they are the for emergencies only Fenix, I let it down when I got home and used the track pump ,back to 100 psi now, I think there was a bit more than that in the inatube when I used the c02, I wondered if the c02 was as good has the write up I can now recommend them :)
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I had a puncture whilst riding this afternoon, instead of repairing it on the road side I changed the inner tube , I bought a co2 cylinder and valve earlier this year, so you thought I would give it a try, I am amazed inatube up to pressure in no time, a lot easier than using the mini pump, what an excellent tool
    It's also worth considering a decent pump (like a Zefal HPX) to pump up your inner tubes by the roadside
    if you have a puncture.
  • I had a puncture whilst riding this afternoon, instead of repairing it on the road side I changed the inatube , I bought a co2 cylinder and valve earlier this year, so you thought I would give it a try, I am amazed inatube up to pressure in no time, a lot easier than using the mini pump, what an excellent tool
    I thought that until one day I was stood by the side of the road listening to all the CO2 disappear out of somewhere on the valve and not into the inner tube when something went wrong. Luckily a nice cyclist stopped and lent me his pump. So now I carry CO2 and a very small minipump.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Just make sure you get a co2 inflator that's press-on rather than screw-on.
    I've had it loads of times where I've unscrewed pumps off the inner tube ( usually Conti's) only for the valves inner core to get stuck inside the pump and unscrew out. Fully deflating the inner tube in 1 second.
    I could imagine this would make you stranded at the side of the road with just a screw-on one shot co2 inflator. The pump I ended up getting is the Topeak Hybrid Rocket. That's both a co2 press-on and a mini hand pump.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • I tend to carry a track pump in my ruck sack, brilliant bit of kit!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I had a mini pump with me,I thought I would try the c02 ,its definalaty easier
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I had a puncture whilst riding this afternoon, instead of repairing it on the road side I changed the inatube , I bought a co2 cylinder and valve earlier this year, so you thought I would give it a try, I am amazed inatube up to pressure in no time, a lot easier than using the mini pump, what an excellent tool

Except when something goes wrong and the co2 just vents to atmosphere instead of going into the tube - thereby leaving you totally fked by the roadside and wishing you had brought a pump with you.
  • I had a puncture whilst riding this afternoon, instead of repairing it on the road side I changed the inatube , I bought a co2 cylinder and valve earlier this year, so you thought I would give it a try, I am amazed inatube up to pressure in no time, a lot easier than using the mini pump, what an excellent tool
    I thought that until one day I was stood by the side of the road listening to all the CO2 disappear out of somewhere on the valve and not into the inner tube when something went wrong. Luckily a nice cyclist stopped and lent me his pump. So now I carry CO2 and a very small minipump.

Happened this week to me tried fixing a bad rip with a patch only to hear my Co2 disappear in front of me. Thanks to Steve who rescued me and in the future I'll be much better prepared :)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    I always carry 2 cylinders in case of a cock up with one of them.
  • I agree - CO2 cylinders are great but do need to be backed up with a pump.
    They also need to be press on rather than screw on. I have both and have ditched the screw on.
    I find it doesn't take a full cylinder to pump my 25's and the seal on the press on applicator is so good there is some left for the next puncture :-)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I like the idea of C02 .... but having to carry a pump to top up the C02 or to recover from screwing the c02 up, kind of defeats the point

Its hardly an effort getting the 1st 40psi into your tires by the roadside using a pump .... it just looks like you are furiously masturbating over your bike in a hedge .. I can cope with that shame, its a good looking bike, lots of carbon
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    MrB123 wrote:
    I always carry 2 cylinders in case of a fool up with one of them.

Same here, I always have two, or three if it's a long ride far from home. I don't take a pump generally. I have an adpter that threads on, it works brill.

The thing about CO2 leakiness is likely a red herring. CO2 is not more able to pass through rubber than N2 or O2. The issue is most likely caused by the chilling from the rapid CO2 expansion which takes the rubber seal in the valve below it's glass transition temperature making it seal poorly. All you need to do is let it warm up and tighten it properly.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Always carry 2 CO2 cyclinders with me, only had one fail in the early days when I didn't know what I was doing. No issues for several years now and having a tyre inflated to 100psi in a matter of seconds is miles better than lugging a pump around.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Always carry a small pump to use first and get the tyre up to 60psi or so, then top up with CO2.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    fat daddy wrote:
    I like the idea of C02 .... but having to carry a pump to top up the C02 or to recover from screwing the c02 up, kind of defeats the point

Its hardly an effort getting the 1st 40psi into your tires by the roadside using a pump .... it just looks like you are furiously masturbating over your bike in a hedge .. I can cope with that shame, its a good looking bike, lots of carbon

The benefit of CO2 could be saved time by roadside, so it still might be worth carrying both CO2 and pump. If you have a dual action one ( pumps both on push and pull ), it should not take you long to get to 100 PSI at all.*

* Unless puny cyclist arms.
  • "inatube"? do you mean inner tube?

And yes, CO2 is a great quick fix. especially when it'c cold and wet. But I do carry a mini pump as well
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Alex99 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    I always carry 2 cylinders in case of a fool up with one of them.

Same here, I always have two, or three if it's a long ride far from home. I don't take a pump generally. I have an adpter that threads on, it works brill.

The thing about CO2 leakiness is likely a red herring. CO2 is not more able to pass through rubber than N2 or O2. The issue is most likely caused by the chilling from the rapid CO2 expansion which takes the rubber seal in the valve below it's glass transition temperature making it seal poorly. All you need to do is let it warm up and tighten it properly.

...my bad, looks like CO2 really does diffuse through rubber more quickly than N2 and O2. CO2 is soluble in rubber so leakage isn't normal permeation loss. You live and learn. Still, CO2 gets you home just fine.
  • I have no idea why people use co2 cylinders unless you're racing. It takes a minute to pump up a tyre on the side of the road.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Only time I have CO2 with me is on a Triathlon.
    Otherwise, through experience, I just use a pump now.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    same here . always carry a pump or you will be making the call of shame ''please can you pick me up I am 40 miles away and did not bring a pump''
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Where do a I buy an inatube from? I need one now, this is what's missing from my cycling kit.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,449
    I bought a CO2 adaptor with a variable 'tap'. I can safely say, i've never had any leakage or delivery problems. Can't remember for the life of me what make it is and i've trawled ebay. I don't carry a mini pump as a result - could never get on with them. Even bought a BR recommended one and hated it.
    Must remember to put my track mitt around the cartridge so that I am not stuck to the damn cartridge.
    Having said that, I haven't had a single puncture since I swapped over to Vittoria Open Paves.

Touch wood.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    '''I haven't had a single puncture since I swapped over to Vittoria Open Paves.'''

tick tock tick tock tick.........
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • pinno
    priory wrote:
    '''I haven't had a single puncture since I swapped over to Vittoria Open Paves.'''

tick tock tick tock tick.........

Yep, that's exactly why I said 'touch wood'.

I haven't been in a ditch twice this month...
    I haven't hit gravel and couldn't unclip quick enough this year...
    I haven't crashed since August...
    I haven't had to make 'that call' recently...
    I have only ever had one quick link fail...

There. I have said it. F*ck 'em. Whoever ' 'em' is.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I have no idea why people use co2 cylinders unless you're racing. It takes a minute to pump up a tyre on the side of the road.

Hello, Popeye
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    mamil314 wrote:
    I have no idea why people use co2 cylinders unless you're racing. It takes a minute to pump up a tyre on the side of the road.

Hello, Popeye

Exactly. Getting 120psi out of a mini pump, will take you more than a minute and my arms will be finished.

Best of both worlds - carry a mini pump and use CO2 to top up.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ben@31 wrote:
    Just make sure you get a co2 inflator that's press-on rather than screw-on.
    I've had it loads of times where I've unscrewed pumps off the inner tube ( usually Conti's) only for the valves inner core to get stuck inside the pump and unscrew out. Fully deflating the inner tube in 1 second.
    I could imagine this would make you stranded at the side of the road with just a screw-on one shot co2 inflator. The pump I ended up getting is the Topeak Hybrid Rocket. That's both a co2 press-on and a mini hand pump.

I'd recommend using some loctight or similar on Conti tubes. me and my buddy had this issue when trying to sort a flat on the side of the road. Absolute nightmare....applied some loctight (at a later point) and the problem is solved
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Same here. I have a small tail pack and in that is 3 carts and a DECENT CO2 inflator valve. I don't bother with a mini pump and haven't done so for 2 years or so and nearly 10000 miles. No issues.

Just don't cheap out on the Valve is my advise. I made that mistake early on.
    Pinno wrote:
    I bought a CO2 adaptor with a variable 'tap'. I can safely say, i've never had any leakage or delivery problems. Can't remember for the life of me what make it is and i've trawled ebay. I don't carry a mini pump as a result - could never get on with them. Even bought a BR recommended one and hated it.
    Must remember to put my track mitt around the cartridge so that I am not stuck to the damn cartridge.
    Having said that, I haven't had a single puncture since I swapped over to Vittoria Open Paves.

Touch wood.
  • pinno
    Websta24 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    Just...pump.

I'd recommend using some loctight or similar on Conti tubes. me and my buddy had this issue when trying to sort a flat on the side of the road. Absolute nightmare....applied some loctight (at a later point) and the problem is solved

So now I have to carry:

3 CO2 cartridges
    Inflator adapter
    1 Mini pump
    Selection of alen keys
    Haribo
    Small Phillips screwdriver
    Foldable rain jacket
    Spare tube
    Tyre levers
    Mobile phone
    Spare quick link