Cheapish Wheel Upgrade

craigus89
craigus89 Posts: 887
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm considering upgrading the wheels on my winter bike (2013 Giant Defy 5 - SR2 wheels) as they aren't great and I just fancy the upgrade.

The bike has Claris 8 speed on it at the moment, at some point I would like to put 105 on there which would be 11 speed. If I got for instance some Fulcrum Quattro's - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... lset-2016/ - or similar wheels, do i just need some spacers to make them 8 speed compatible, then remove the spacers if and when I go 11 speed? Is it that simple or am I missing something?

Do wheels usually come with spacers or do I need to get these separately?

Ta

Comments

• Craigus89 wrote:
    I'm considering upgrading the wheels on my winter bike (2013 Giant Defy 5 - SR2 wheels) as they aren't great and I just fancy the upgrade.

The bike has Claris 8 speed on it at the moment, at some point I would like to put 105 on there which would be 11 speed. If I got for instance some Fulcrum Quattro's - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... lset-2016/ - or similar wheels, do i just need some spacers to make them 8 speed compatible, then remove the spacers if and when I go 11 speed? Is it that simple or am I missing something?

Do wheels usually come with spacers or do I need to get these separately?

Ta

Don't know, but those wheels are £155 at probikekit just now if you use code PBKDD. Just bought some.
  • Thanks for that, is that as well as the sale price of 38% off?
  • from the wiggle web site under the Q and A section. Does not answer exactly but seems that it is possible with the correct spacer. I want to do something similar myself so thanks for posting.

1 answer
    Cassette Sizes

Do these wheels come with any spacers for small cassettes or do they just support 10/11 speed?

9 months ago

TriBobTriLancaster, Lancashire, UK

Staff Answer

A 1.85mm spacer is supplied. This means you can fit a 9/10 speed cassette. For an 8 speed cassette a 3mm might be required:

Products related to my answer

Shimano Cassette Alloy Spacer

4.3 out of 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Decathlon are worth a look.

B'twin Aero 700c £120 a pair. Sealed bearings bladed spokes and weigh 1760g.
    Mavic Aksium on sale -24%, £110 for the wheelset.