Torque wrench

Baron Greenback
Baron Greenback Posts: 128
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Looking to buy a torque wrench, as I am starting to fiddle about a little bit more!

There are bike specific models available, often fixed torque ones. However, I'd rather buy a 1/4" drive adjustable wrench. I understand this is likely to be larger, but I am wondering if this will be prohibitive in areas of the bike?

What are your experiences please?

Thanks,

Greenback

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cheap torque wrenches are rarely accurate, so dangerous to rely on. Decent ones need recalibrating regularly, so if not, dangerous to rely on.
    I prefer to rely on my fingers.

But can't answer your actual question, sorry.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have a teng 3/8 5-25nm torque wrench available if you are interested. (duplicated present) Brand new in packaging. Retail for £50 usually although its yours for 35. If your interested ill put an advert in the classifieds.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Cheap torque wrenches are rarely accurate, so dangerous to rely on. Decent ones need recalibrating regularly, so if not, dangerous to rely on.
    I prefer to rely on my fingers.

But can't answer your actual question, sorry.

You've raised a good point, and one I haven't considered. I hadn't intended to buy cheap, however I hadn't thought about calibration. The same applies to all torque wrenches though, so you are probably better off with your method.

Maybe when I've tightened up a few components to 6nm and 10nm, I'll get a but if a feel for it myself.

We have a calibrator at work, I'm not sure if it's suitable for 1/4 drive though. However, it's incredibly difficult to achieve consistent results from it. It's verified as functioning correctly, and has been sent back to the manufacturer for master calibration also.
  • kyle17290 wrote:
    I have a teng 3/8 5-25nm torque wrench available if you are interested. (duplicated present) Brand new in packaging. Retail for £50 usually although its yours for 35. If your interested ill put an advert in the classifieds.

Thanks for the offer Kyle, but I'll give it a miss thank you. I am after a 1/4 drive, plus I have friends and family in the motor and tool trade, so i am hoping for a good deal!
  • Fenix wrote:

Yes, this does, thank you. I'll read it in more detail with interest.