Riser road handlebars

Wily-Quixote
Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I've noticed a trend on 2017 bikes for 'riser' handlebars (i.e the tops of the bars are raised above the level of the stem). I am not talking about a flat bar but a raised road bar.
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/blog/sp ... gs-to-know

I am considering this as an upgrade to my road bike because of poor flexibility and i don't particularly want to by an endurance bike just to get a higher position.

I could get a higher rise stem or a new fork wiht lots of steerer tube showing and raise the entire front end of the bike but that would alter the geometry of the bike making the front end 'noodly'.

My question is: as the riser bar still has the leverage point at a low point on the steerer tube does this make the geometry the same, even though the centre of gravity of the rider is higher?

Comments

• Some stems can be flipped for positive or negative rise. I've done this on my Giant TCR, I'm in my forties now and not as flexible as I was, so having a bit rise in the stem has made the bike more comfortable over longer distances.

My TCR still feels as fast as it was, but more comfortable. I'm sure it isn't as aerodynamic though with a slightly higher front end position.

The actual geometry of the bike remains the same I suppose, but the rider position is higher at the front affecting how aerodynamic you are. Perhaps someone else will have a more technical answer than mine?
    Hope my thoughts help you.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I'd love a set of those aerofly handlebars also but in alloy not carbon. Are the bars on the new Roubaix alloy or carbon?

I priced the carbon version a few weeks ago and theyre pretty expensive so hoping that they make an alloy version too.
  • Drax32
    Drax32 Posts: 25
    edited September 2016
    Is this what your looking for as I wouldn't mind them myself .

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... t-preview/
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Just what ive been looking for :D
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Flipping the stem, changing to a steeper-angle one and/ or adding spacers (if possible) will get you more or less the same result and will be easier to do and possibly cheaper
  • bmxboy10
    yaya wrote:
    Flipping the stem, changing to a steeper-angle one and/ or adding spacers (if possible) will get you more or less the same result and will be easier to do and possibly cheaper
    Yes but it looks shite
  • bmxboy10
    Fitted these to my Tarmac today. They look and work great much better then a flipped stem! Flat tops too!