Winter Mud Tyers

Calx
Calx Posts: 15
edited September 2016 in MTB general
Now that the weather is on the turn, what's everyone got their eye on for winter and, more specifically for me, 27.5+ tyers for mud? I'm currently running Maxxis Chronicles which aren't great where I am, where locally there's a lot of muddy and often boggy terrain. Recommendations?

Comments

• Specialized Storm Control.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do they even come in 27.5+?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • As of last winter. They are one of the few that comes in all three sizes, although there was speculation at that time that not for much longer in 26.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    aaah ok, size generally seems rare.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic would be the obvious choice, but I don't like Schwalbe tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Calx
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't like Schwalbe tyres.

Care to elaborate? I've been looking at these.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well as 27.5+ can be added to 26,27.5, 29 and fat bike that's them available in all three of five tyre sizes, The SC is only available in a 650b X 2.0 so no good for a 27.5+

27.5+ will be rubbish in mud almost whatever the tyre I'm afraid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Whilst CD may have his own prejudices I'd jump in (again) and say that these AREN'T great for mud and boggy terrain. You really want a proper mud/wet ground tyre such as the Storm Control or the Bontrager XR Mud (which also come in 27.5). These are brilliant in mud and are still good enough allround to run when it's less horrible. They're just a little narrower than most (2.0) so you'll need slightly higher pressures.

EDIT: Poo, I missed the + off the OP. So it's all irrelevant and what the Rookie wrote is right - you got the wrong bike :)
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    Calx wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't like Schwalbe tyres.

Care to elaborate? I've been looking at these.
    People I ride with seem to have had problems with durability, mainly sidewalls. Grip is fine with the right compounds, but every manufacturer makes some decent tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Whilst CD may have his own prejudices I'd jump in (again) and say that these AREN'T great for mud and boggy terrain. You really want a proper mud/wet ground tyre such as the Storm Control or the Bontrager XR Mud (which also come in 27.5). These are brilliant in mud and are still good enough allround to run when it's less horrible. They're just a little narrower than most (2.0) so you'll need slightly higher pressures.

EDIT: Poo, I missed the + off the OP. So it's all irrelevant and what the Rookie wrote is right - you got the wrong bike :)

Not really prejudiced, I have Maxxis, Kenda, Bontrager, Contis, Michelin and Panaracer on different bikes. They all do the job I want them to. Decent Schwalbe always seem quite expensive, and friends have had issues.

And unless you ride in mainly mud, I have also found dedicated mud tyres a bit pointless. I tried but got rid of them. If it's 100% mud it's really pointless riding, and if it's just wet with mud, normal tyres work better overall.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    saying that, Kenda Small Block 8s on a retro Kona Explosif, in the middle of January sogginess, on steep down hills did leave a bit to be desired. But it was exciting.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

And unless you ride in mainly mud, I have also found dedicated mud tyres a bit pointless. I tried but got rid of them. If it's 100% mud it's really pointless riding, and if it's just wet with mud, normal tyres work better overall.

Completely agree with you about Schwalbe, but have the same issue with Maxxis, so many compounds so little time.

Where we will disagree is on the mud tyres. Both SCs and XR Mud (I have both) roll really well in the dry so work fine as a "mixed" conditions tyre (I use them on my 29er for my winter commute, which is about 60% off road and properly muddy and 40% on hardpack or road). The only caveat I will add to that is that this is for XC use - the lack of volume means higher pressures and can be a little sketchy on some descents (rocky), but that's the only issue I've ever found with them.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Calx
    you got the wrong bike :)

The advantages of the plus size isn't up for debate here, I'm already reaping the benefits, but I'd just like some extra grip in the wetter areas - as cooldad has said, it's possibly better I just run normal tyers as it's not like I'm riding 100% mud anyway, and I might get a better result across the board than trying to cater for the most extreme part of the trail. Will look into this, thanks.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Do they even come in 27.5+?

Only if you fit new wheels with sensible width rims.
    27.5+ is useless in mud. You need either narrow tyres or full fatbike tyres in mud. Anything between will just drag badly. My 2.35" tyres drag badly enough in mud.