Looking for help comparing frame sizes.

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I appreciate this is a common post but I'm looking at buying a new frame (Genesis Zero Z.i 2016) unfortunately I can't seem to find anywhere to try one so I'm trying to compare it to my current bike (63cm Rose Xenon RS3000). If anything, I'd say my Rose frame feels slightly big (Saddle is quite far forward and did have a 110cm stem on it then changed it to a 90mm) but I did go for a bike fit 2.5 years ago prior to ordering it and the fitter said it'd be good because of the longer Head Tube. At the time I had a slightly more upright riding style and was less flexible but I think that's changed now.

When comparing the two sizes and looking at the reach and stack of the frames am I right in assuming that a size L is pretty close to the Rose if a few mm smaller and would suit me best? Ideally I'd go for another fit and buy the frame but I can't really afford both right now.

zW270Sm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zW270Sm.jpg

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yes, the Genesis (L) looks to be a bit smaller in both reach and stack. Drop from saddle to bars on the Genesis will be a little more than you're used to.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    Yes, the Genesis (L) looks to be a bit smaller in both reach and stack. Drop from saddle to bars on the Genesis will be a little more than you're used to.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case. I have a couple of spacers on my Rose at the moment too. I think I'll try taking them off and see how I get on. It's a pretty comfortable ride and I can spend 6 hours in the saddle at a casual pace without any problems but it does feel like it could be improved on more intensive shorter rides of 2-3 hours.
  • the 2mm difference in stack is negligible.
    the 10mm shorter reach is more significant, it will mean you can put the saddle back where it should be or use a slightly longer stem.
  • Thanks, I think it sounds like a slightly more suitable frame for me as far as I can tell. Just need to try and find a few user reviews or forum posts now. It seems to get a good review on cyclingnews but it'd be nice to hear from everyday riders.
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    And whilst on the subject of stack and reach, i had a bike fit done earlier this year and the result was that i need a frame with a larger stack height but not an increase in reach. That on my current bike is Stack 563 and Reach 384. I have been looking at frame geometries today and would like to know how much of an increase to the stack would make a real difference? Also the reach on the bikes differ and at what point would an increase start to create an impact?
    Thanks.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Take a look at this: https://app.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison quite useful for comparing different bikes along with the effect different stems/spacers will have on the geometry.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    If it helps I'm 6'4" and very comfortable on a L size Zero.
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    PaulMon wrote:
    Take a look at this: https://app.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison quite useful for comparing different bikes along with the effect different stems/spacers will have on the geometry.

that link doesn't work as it takes me to a page where login details are required. Not registration option is available.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    If it helps I'm 6'4" and very comfortable on a L size Zero.

Oh nice, yea that does help as I'm the same height. Thanks.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I run it with a 110mm stem and one 10mm spacer under the stem. The saddle to bar drop is fairly big but that suits me as I've got very long legs, plus I think it's fairly normal for taller riders to have a decent amount of drop.

Where abouts in the country are you? There should be a Genesis dealer somewhere near you that you could visit to try one before you buy. That's what I did before I bought my frameset.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    edited September 2016
    rs6mra1 wrote:
    PaulMon wrote:
    Take a look at this: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://app.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison</span&gt; quite useful for comparing different bikes along with the effect different stems/spacers will have on the geometry.

that link doesn't work as it takes me to a page where login details are required. Not registration option is available.

Cheers for the link PaulMon. Is there a way to enter the data yourself or does it have to be from the drop down? The measurements are different to the ones provided by the manufacturer.

rs6mra1, you can register here https://www.velogicfit.com/signup/?plan=rider
  • MrB123 wrote:
    I run it with a 110mm stem and one 10mm spacer under the stem. The saddle to bar drop is fairly big but that suits me as I've got very long legs, plus I think it's fairly normal for taller riders to have a decent amount of drop.

Where abouts in the country are you? There should be a Genesis dealer somewhere near you that you could visit to try one before you buy. That's what I did before I bought my frameset.

I'll need to measure the saddle to bar drop on mine as I'm not sure what it is. I have a fairly upright riding style though so I don't think it's a lot. I went for a bike fit after having ridden for about 2.5 years. That was about 2 years ago now and I've lost weight and gotten more flexible but still have a similar setup. Ideally I'd got for another bike fit but I'm not sure I can afford both right now and the frame I want is on sale.

I'm in London and have used the genesis site to find dealers, although a lot of the info on there is out of date or just wrong. I'm going to call around to a few places today and see if I can find one.
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    Cheers for the link PaulMon. Is there a way to enter the data yourself or does it have to be from the drop down? The measurements are different to the ones provided by the manufacturer.

Let me know which model you've seen a discrepancy on and I'll get it sorted. Is it just that I need to add in the Zero Disc?