Road front lights

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,479
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm not intent on doing night rides, but as the gloomier weather sets in and riding the country lanes around here - especially under tree cover - becomes harder to be seen I'm after recommendations please

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Cateye Volt 700/800
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Budget?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Lezyne Macro. Reliable, tidy and bright enough to ride with in the dark as well as to be seen. Lezyne micro on the rear.
  • Tashman
    Andcp wrote:
    Budget?
    Sorry, not looking to spend a fortune, as i said it's more of a Daylight light rather than night riding.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Moon Meteor 200, available from about £26, I had one until it got broken. The 'rapid' flashing mode catches the eye of everyone and I'm surprised it's legal to be honest. At a push it can also be used as a 'seeing' light as well as a 'be seen' light. Only my opinion of course.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    For true daylight riding a simple flasher is fine - you're after getting the attention of the road users in front of you.
    However, once you get to dusk or in situations where you as a rider are not easily visable then (IMHO) you need a constant light as well as a flash - you can either do this in two units or you could use something like the Cateye 700/800 which has the Hyper-Constant mode - which basically has a steady light with a higher power flash.
    I've had my Cateye Nanoshot + for a few years now and bought my wife a 700 - they're not cheap but they are effective - of course, they're also night time usable ...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I'm happy with my Lezyne lights but a lot of my club mates use Light & Motion and say they are very good.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have the cateye volt 300 - which is great. It just works - good run times, easy on/ off good bracket - usb charging....you can get it for around £30.

Just a tip don't bother with these chinese lights boasting 1600 lumens etc - there are incredibly bright - but not reliable.....
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Lezyne Macro. Reliable, tidy and bright enough to ride with in the dark as well as to be seen. Lezyne micro on the rear.

+1 I've got a Leyzene Macro 600XL, good battery life and plenty powerful enough.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Yeah, for these requirements I think the Lezyne lights are pretty hard to beat, either the 400 or 600 lumen models.
  • Tashman
    Thanks Guys,

I shall be shopping online later :)
  • I picked up an LED set from Decathlon, front and rear USB rechargeable (I plug them in at work on my computer) and they work a treat.

The front is super bright too!
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Wiggle Lifeline 500 for £26
    I had one for my night rides round brands hatch last weekend and it was incredible.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Andcp wrote:
    Moon Meteor 200, available from about £26, I had one until it got broken. The 'rapid' flashing mode catches the eye of everyone and I'm surprised it's legal to be honest. At a push it can also be used as a 'seeing' light as well as a 'be seen' light. Only my opinion of course.

I use one of these. I originally bought it as a backup for my MTB main light and in that role it has done great service, getting me home when the main light runs out of battery - this goes to show it is perfectly capable of being a 'seeing' light on unlit, pitch-black trails/bridlepaths/byways.

On buying my road bike I now use the Meteor as a 'be seen' flasher during the day. I haven't had the bike long enough to ride in the dark yet, but will certainly be using this into the dusk and will see how it goes at night.

The main issue I have is that the rubber cover of the micro-USB charging port no longer stays pushed into place, making its weatherproofing questionable. I parked next to a bike recently with the same light fitted and exactly the same issue evident.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Another vote for the CatEye Volt 700/800. Excellent for unlit country roads on my commute. Form your description you probably don't need something as powerful if you are not heading out post sunset.
  • Avoid Frog. My frog front light changes mode when going over bumps, the batteries don't last, and when the batteries are getting low it unhelpfully shows up a RED light instead of white. Newer models may be better but they won't ever be seeing my money again.