1x Combo

loukest
loukest Posts: 89
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've just sold my MTB and bought a Canyon Strive in the end of season sale. I needed an XL so could not go for the "race" option which comes 1x. I've only had 1x recently and am keen to stick with it. The setup I normally use is 32-11/42, I'm trying to avoid buying a new cassette (it comes with an 11/40). The closest match to the ratios I'm used to would be a 30-1/42. I've put this in the gear calculators etc and it basically results in a slightly easier gear to pedal when in the 42 and the reverse at the bottom end. I would be happy with slightly easier to pedal as I've found the 32/42 a bit tough on some of the steeper climbs around Yorkshire. My question, the 30-11/40 doesn't seem to be a very popular combination, am I missing something in terms of disadvantages?

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A wider range cassette is always going to be the obvious choice if starting from fresh, so most will buy an 11-42 (that said I bought an 11-40 as I have a super short cage XTR mech and didn't want to push my luck).

As for chainring size, its very personal, you do see 30T on more 29ers while those on 26/27" nominal diameter wheels are more likely to go for a 32 as it gives similar gear inches to the 30 on a 29er. But if its what suites YOU for your riding and your bike, get the 30.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.