Advice on this wheel build problem

SCBronsonCC
SCBronsonCC Posts: 42
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I am currently building some new wheels using Sapim d-light spokes (black).

Everything is generally going OK with the build but I have hit a problem when it comes to the spoke nipples, up on tightening them the black on the spoke heads is getting scratched off by the spoke key. I have purchased a new pedros key thinking it would help but in fact its worse and plastic ones are not strong enough unless someone can recommend a really good plastic spoke key.

Has anyone else had this problem? The nipples are black brass sapim ones so should be of good quality.

Also before anyone says it's a MTB and they will get scratched eventually I am building a few sets for friends and local riders, I am sure they dont want to see scratched spoke nipples on there brand new set of wheels.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Interesting issue, can't help as I only use silver nipples!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I wish I was using silver nipples now but they would look well out of place.

Frustrating to say the least!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Can you get a black touch up pen?

Silver nipples for the win though!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Black Sharpie ?
  • I considered a sharpie but then thought it might be a bit of a cheat way and not something I would like to do. Worst case it might be my only solution but its frustrating that I am in this predicament.

Hopefully someone has a solution or recommendation for me!

Thanks everyone :)
  • Microfibre cloth like the ones used to clean glasses?
    Stay positive people :)
  • Hi.

I am currently building some new wheels using Sapim d-light spokes (black).

Everything is generally going OK with the build but I have hit a problem when it comes to the spoke nipples, up on tightening them the black on the spoke heads is getting scratched off by the spoke key. I have purchased a new pedros key thinking it would help but in fact its worse and plastic ones are not strong enough unless someone can recommend a really good plastic spoke key.

Has anyone else had this problem? The nipples are black brass sapim ones so should be of good quality.

Also before anyone says it's a MTB and they will get scratched eventually I am building a few sets for friends and local riders, I am sure they dont want to see scratched spoke nipples on there brand new set of wheels.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Did you lube the nipples and the nipple seat?
    Also make sure you correct the spoke line before you bring them to full tension as the spokes may be coming into the nipple at a horrible angle and rubbing the internal side of the nipple also putting high side loads on the nipple threads making it harder to turn than it should be.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369