£800ish to spend?!

w1lz
w1lz Posts: 37
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I currently ride a hybrid, mainly for commuting. It's slow, heavy and (dreadfully) has front suspension which just saps my energy. I'm looking for a road bike to upgrade. This road bike needs to not only be a good commuter but be able to ride in sportives (I have a big event next year).

I'm currently looking at the following btwin Mach 720 carbon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mach-720-car ... 39670.html

Or

Boardman road team carbon http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

Looking at reviews the boardman seems a very decent bike for the money. Thing is I can't find any reviews for the exact btwin (though I definitely prefer the overall look).

I also really like halfrods 13 range http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001 but it doesn't seem to have as good write ups.

Has anyone got any of these bikes or have any experience with this sort of thing- any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Review of BTwin Mach 720 here

http://road.cc/content/review/154399-btwin-mach-720

The Boardman is also Tiagra rather than the 105 on the BTwin so on that basis I would be leaning towards the BTwin
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Btwin bikes generally get a very good review.

one thing they say that frame is limited to 23mm tyres
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    23mm tyres are a bit narrow these days. Most of my pals have swapped to 25mm and are preferring the ride and better grip.
  • w1lz
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for all your replies guys.

The tyre width may be a deal breaker if they are limited to 23s. I imagine this would mean they wouldn't be very good in the wet? I don't want limitations. I'm also slightly worried about the riding position. Does anyone use this bike for commuting (I have a laptop rucksack too)?

If anyone has got any other bike ideas around this price range, they would be greatly appreciated!?

Thanks again!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Edinburgh Bicycle Coop have the Tiagra/Disc Genesis equilibrium on sale at gb800 in store.
  • Think I'd keep the hybrid and go wild spending on Rapha gear
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • w1lz
    Hmm

Am I asking to much of a bike to work as a commuter and sportive rider? Or are these two normal things to be asking of a bike?
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    w1lz wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies guys.

The tyre width may be a deal breaker if they are limited to 23s. I imagine this would mean they wouldn't be very good in the wet? I don't want limitations. I'm also slightly worried about the riding position. Does anyone use this bike for commuting (I have a laptop rucksack too)?

If anyone has got any other bike ideas around this price range, they would be greatly appreciated!?

Thanks again!

Unless you're very flexible you'll likely need a lot of spacers as the head tube length on those btwin frames is very short.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you are using this to commute and currently use a backpack then I would get a bike that could take full mudguards and pannier rack. Panniers much much much better than backpack. Next on the list would be to get disc brakes (ideally hydraulic) and ability to run 25mm or 28mm tyres with those mudguards. This rules out several carbon bikes and at £800 I think you would probably be better off with aluminium anyway. Those London Road bikes would be high up the list, or something like the Whyte Dorset.

No reason why you cant use any of these for Sportives. I rode plenty of Sportives on my Boardman Hybrid Team with no ill effects - did 20,000 odd miles on it before a taxi ran us over!
  • w1lz
    Thanks for the advice ^.

I'm now thinking I will just get something cheap/ secondhand for the commute. And early next summer get something better. I'm new to road bikes so think it might do me well to give it a go and see what I really need!
  • Fenix wrote:
    23mm tyres are a bit narrow these days. Most of my pals have swapped to 25mm and are preferring the ride and better grip.

Yeah, we were all suffering with white finger and constantly crashing with 23's on. Unrideable Death traps.
  • Ive just put some 28 on my new aeroad and the ride is very comfy indeed for the crap roads but have zero effect on levels of grip. If your mates have seapped from 23 to 25 to get more grip, id look for some new mates
  • w1lz wrote:
    Thanks for the advice ^.

I'm now thinking I will just get something cheap/ secondhand for the commute. And early next summer get something better. I'm new to road bikes so think it might do me well to give it a go and see what I really need!

I'm in a similar position. Really don't want to go entry level and had decided on a Vitus Zenium at £649. But I'm really struggling to get on with the black/orange paint. Had then started trying to convince myself to go towards £800-900 but think I should just start cheaper as you say...something you don't worry about getting dirty! Only problem is relative lack of choice for used bikes over here.

Are you concerned about correct fitment etc if you go used?
  • w1lz
    Kubeism wrote:
    w1lz wrote:
    Thanks for the advice ^.

I'm in a similar position. Really don't want to go entry level and had decided on a Vitus Zenium at £649. But I'm really struggling to get on with the black/orange paint. Had then started trying to convince myself to go towards £800-900 but think I should just start cheaper as you say...something you don't worry about getting dirty! Only problem is relative lack of choice for used bikes over here.

Yes it is a concern, but I guess that's the risk you take. If it doesn't work out you can probably still sell it for what you bought it for.

Going new just feels like such a big expense when I don't feel I fully know what I'm looking for/ know exactly what will work best for me!

Good luck with your hunt though matey!
  • w1lz wrote:
    Kubeism wrote:
    w1lz wrote:
    Thanks for the advice ^.

Yes it is a concern, but I guess that's the risk you take. If it doesn't work out you can probably still sell it for what you bought it for.

Going new just feels like such a big expense when I don't feel I fully know what I'm looking for/ know exactly what will work best for me!

Good luck with your hunt though matey!

And you :D
  • http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -team-bike

British Cycling membership should get that reduced another 10%, or get ~3% off via Topcashback.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Garry H wrote:
    Edinburgh Bicycle Coop have the Tiagra/Disc Genesis equilibrium on sale at gb800 in store.

Great bike, mine is fantastic if a little heavy. Great for poor weather/commuting/poor roads ie Scotland

Also, I would check out what cannondales there are around for that sort of price also, I'm waiting on a Supersix but there are plenty of nice spec Caads going at the moment from various online retailers