Canyon Nerve Headset

nbd_rider
nbd_rider Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a Canyon Nerve XC 2012, and my Acros Aix-03 Headset has finally given up. I've read some forums that suggest alternative headset components (Hope pick and mix for the top, Superstar components for the lower).

I've removed my old bearings easily enough, and was surprised to see they are traditional bearings rather than sealed looking cartridge bearings. They definitely don't look like the exploded diagrams of the headset I have found online. However, I'm left with silver components inside the Headtube at both ends, and I don't know if this is part of the frame, or whether this is the remains of the Acros headset. Maybe there was a cartridge bearing in there after all? Do I need to extract this before replacing with new? I don't want to take a screwdriver to it unnecessarily in case I damage the frame. I have pics on my phone to upload.
thanks
NBD

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have seen cartridge bearings come to bits and look like loose ball when you remove them, if you have a seperate inner race and wedge (top and 'crown race' which isnt actually a race at the bottom) then it's almost a dead cert, you'll have to knock out the old outer race.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • This is what's left in the top of head tube...

https://postimg.org/image/sfe4ecloj/