Changing Forks Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27

Funkydee
Funkydee Posts: 19
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi All,
First post of a topic, forgive my lack of jargon.
Have just bought an old Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27. Everything standard on it, 26" wheels, Hydro discs. I need to replace forks as the XCR standard to these has got the damper and lockout bits missing which I was aware of when I got it.
Went to a workshop where I was sold a decent set of 29er XCM. After a struggle gettin the old forks out thanks to some rusted on some parts, the new forks fitted OK til I put the wheel on. The rotor is too big (180) and obviously the wheel wont sit into the forks.
Would it be sensible to cut any losses and take the forks back for a refund, which I can get?
Would it be sensible to get a new smaller rotor, not too expensive?
Would it be best to not run on 29er forks anyway and hence take them back?
Can I get a replacement damper and lockout bits, I've tried but can't find any online.
I'd like to get this project going on my very limited budget. I'm new to discs anyway.
Any advice would be welcome, but please try tp keep the jargon fairly simple.
Many Thanks in advance,
Funkydee

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The brake will work with the right size adapter (180mm), but the forks will still be too long. And not very good ones anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sounds like it will be more hassle than it's worth. I'd probably take the fork back for a refund if it was me.

It looks like spares are available. However by the time you've invested in some spares, you might be better off with a new fork. http://www.srsuntour.com/collections/xcr-service-parts

What's your budget for some replacement forks?
  • Sounds like it will be more hassle than it's worth. I'd probably take the fork back for a refund if it was me.

It looks like spares are available. However by the time you've invested in some spares, you might be better off with a new fork. http://www.srsuntour.com/collections/xcr-service-parts

What's your budget for some replacement forks?

Yeh, supprised they sold you 29er forks for a 26er, not good.
  • Thanks for getting back Cooldad, Baron G, and Matty.
    Will prob take 'em back. Budget is LOW, looking used only as a result. These were £25, hardly used, vgc really. But, all in all, prob best to stay patient and wait for some similarly cheap used forks.
    I'm NOT gonna be off roading in competitions or much at all really. Much of the use this bike will get is urban, but would prefer it to be mtb as I do (careful and considerate) pavement hopping. There are cobbles and allsorts, so roadbike is not best option. Anyway, they tend to be less common and more expensive.
    So on the CB, which turned up cheap as a repairable beast, just need reliable forks that fit. Lock out would be nice, but not essential, primarily just proper compatibility with my bike.
    I can do stuff like respray etc if needed and if I'm bothered, but tbh, nothing fancy, solid and functional is all I want.
    Anybody got any good suggestions as to a decent set to trawl the www for?
    Thanx again, Funkydee
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not just get a rigid MTB fork, sounds like it would be better for your use than a suspension one.

I'd be keeping an eye on ebay watching out for bargains!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi All,
    Took 'em back, replaced with Marzocchi Dirtjam comp. Not LO. no damper, but strong and the shop guy did a couple of bits for nothing for me. Will do for now. Rigid fork may be a good idea, up to March I'd never had suspension. It's easier on the wrist joints though with the suspension, I'm no spring chicken and was suffering over the bumps in my hilly streets holding the brakes on in the cold wet winter. Thanks for all the advice, it wont be the last time I'll be picking some of your collective brains.