Work in progress: Alan Record Carbonio

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
edited December 2016 in Vintage bikes forum
(cross-posted from Retrobike, so apologies if you've already seen it)

The idea is a 1987 C-Record build, in as close to NOS condition as I can manage (but I do plan to ride this bike, so it won't be a wall queen). I've gone with a black trim theme rather than the strictly correct white hoods, cables, tape etc - so sue me.

Just built the front wheel this morning and chucked the bar tape on. First ride (just around the block, really) seemed to be OK, so here it is so far...

20160911_161903_zpsbt2hi2ct.jpg

20160911_161911_zpshe0jnftq.jpg

20160911_161953_zpst105nutf.jpg

20160911_162009_zps3xpra1kl.jpg

20160911_1619340_zpskb1ws2lb.jpg

20160911_162023_zpskjqkmlzu.jpg

[url=http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/iwc_temp/media/20160911_161923_zps0bfru87a.jpg.html20160911_161923_zps0bfru87a.jpg[/url]
    Used Alan Record Carbonio (57x58) age unknown NOS C-Record Delta levers with new hoods NOS C-Record Syncro II shifters NOS C-Record clamp-on FD Used C-Record RD (with tension adjuster) Used Chorus Monoplaner brakes NOS Regina 7-speed freewheel New (modern) 8-speed KMC chain Used Chorus (90s) chainset (looks like late-80s Croce d'Aune) 175mm Used Campagnolo chainring bolts NOS Record 53/39 chainrings Used Super Record pedals and Campag toe clips NOS C-Record aero seatpost Repro Selle Italia Turbo saddle NOS Campagnolo seat pinch bolt Used 3TTT stem (110) Repro Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars (42) New Cinelli cork bar tape Used Super Record headset New Jagwire cable outers NOS Campagnolo cables Used Record hubs (with 130OLN axle conversion at the rear), 32h New Sapim Race spokes New Mavic Open Pro Tubular rims New Challenge Strada 25c tubs (bit fat for period, but comfort over style) Used C-Record skewers New (modern) sealed-bearing BB (chickened out on using fragile Ti C-Record BB) Elite Ciussi bottle cage

Still to do:
    Refurbish frame (strip and relacquer, polish alloy, new decals) Fit toestraps - have white ones, need black ones (and need to learn to ride with toestraps in the first place!) Fit Syncro 7-speed index ring - bought one which got lost in the post, need to get another. Works well in friction mode, though. Find a 175mm C-Record (hidden bolt) chainset in decent condition. Like hen's teeth, it appears. C-Record headset - again hard to find affordably in NOS condition. Deltas...maybe. I've bought some NOS 5th-gen (with suitable black bellows etc) units which are on their way, but I may just use them for show. The Chorus brakes are already somewhat less efficient than modern ones; from what I read, Deltas are positively scary. Change of saddle - probably to an Iscaselle or something like that. I had the Turbo lying around, but it's not my favourite thing to ride; I'd like to use a Flite, but they're three years too young.

Comments

• In building the front wheel you made a slight mistake, it appears. The spokes around the valve are converging, while they should be diverging, basically you started from the wrong hole. It's not a big deal, but as a fellow wheel builder I am compelled to point it out.
    Otherwise, very nice... Eroica next year?
    left the forum March 2023
  • 964cup
    See thread on Retrobikes; I was rushing. Herewith revised version after hasty red-faced rebuild (and yes, I got distracted and keyed from the wrong spoke).

20160911_203435_zpsejzmshas.jpg

Yes, Eroica indeed. It's my recovery target after November's back op. Will have to change the brake routing to external, but otherwise it's good to go. Might see if I can squeeze 27c tubs on as well, but I suspect not given the limited clearance of the C-Record front mech.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    See thread on Retrobikes; I was rushing. Herewith revised version after hasty red-faced rebuild (and yes, I got distracted and keyed from the wrong spoke).

20160911_203435_zpsejzmshas.jpg

Yes, Eroica indeed. It's my recovery target after November's back op. Will have to change the brake routing to external, but otherwise it's good to go. Might see if I can squeeze 27c tubs on as well, but I suspect not given the limited clearance of the C-Record front mech.

No need to re-route the cables, they won't care, plenty of people with hidden cables.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Nice bike - you may want a smaller chainring or bigger sprocket on Mt Sante Maria, or do as most do and enjoy the walk!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 964cup
    Thanks. It's a 39x28 bottom gear; hard to get much lower and stay period correct, so I suppose it may be Shank's pony for me.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    Thanks. It's a 39x28 bottom gear; hard to get much lower and stay period correct, so I suppose it may be Shank's pony for me.

Be fine, I've done it with 41 x 26, which is a bit harder than your 39 x 28
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    39x28 that a shorter gear than I have on any of my road bikes. You'll be fine. It is an 80's bike and to have the proper 80's riding experience you need tall gearing. If you want really tall you could ride my alan with a 44x18 lowest gear.

I like the bike, always like the carbino.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.