Cycling clubs in Glasgow?

zowie
zowie Posts: 2
Hi all,

I just started a new job in Glasgow so I'm looking to find people I can cycle some decent stretches with. So far my experience is mostly long distance road cycling (Audax).

Anyone know of a good cycling club I could join? I'd also be open to the idea of a triathlon club, not that I've ever done one....

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Glasgow Wheelers have good rep. Former club of one Robert Millar
  • There are loads of clubs in Glasgow. Depends on where in the city you are.

My friends are in the Glasgow Gailes - based out in Torrance - seem like a good bunch
    I ride with some folk with Glasgow VC South (Newton Mearns way) - nice people as well

However, to get you started there are quite a lot of groups/chaingangs that go out that you do not need to be in a club for.J ust turn up and go.

e.g. Douglas Bunch - Sat - leave 0930 from Torrance House - East Kilbride
    Round the Lake - Sat - leaves 1000 from Strathblane
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    I've seen a group starting from the Botanic Gardens a stone's throw from my house, another one goes from Glasgow Green. Not tried them myself tho sorry.

You can hook up with the latter on Strava
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/glasgow-green-cycle-club

If you want a long ride Sunday Pedal for Scotland are taking entries on the day at least for the Big Belter. 112 miles. Bring £50.

http://pedalforscotland.org/rides/the-big-belter/
  • There is a MeetUp group called West Coast Velo and they often start their rides from Botanic Gardens or from Bell's Bridge at the SECC. There are rides that get posted up on the Meetup app.
    Alex
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    The one that rolls out of glasgow green is the GGCC (glasgow green cycling club) .. one of my friends is a member and speaks highly.. :)
  • Did you find a group?

Unless they have sorted their group riding out I'd avoid West Coast Velo like the plague.

Otherwise there is Glasgow Green, Glasgow Wheelers, Lomond roads, Glasgow Ivy, Glasgow Nightingale... The list is massive if you start to include the surrounding area too.