Beginner Road Bike

Fritz_Frigursson
Fritz_Frigursson Posts: 19
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone, I'm new to cycling and also new to this forum. I recently became very passionate about cycling and I was wondering what beginner bike to start off with. After a lot of visits to the local bike store, I was still in doubt. The next day I went to Decathlon (sports store) and took a look at the B'twin Triban 500 and Triban 520. I noticed that the 520 has Shimano Sora and better components overall. Meanwhile the Triban 500 seems like a good starter bike. Is the 200 euros jump to the 520 really worth it? Also, is Road Biking suitable for a 15 year old measuring 1m55/5"11?
Thanks, Fritz_Frigursson

Comments

• Also my budget is currently about 600 euros (£500)
    Thanks again
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Hello everyone, I'm new to cycling and also new to this forum. I recently became very passionate about cycling and I was wondering what beginner bike to start off with. After a lot of visits to the local bike store, I was still in doubt. The next day I went to Decathlon (sports store) and took a look at the B'twin Triban 500 and Triban 520. I noticed that the 520 has Shimano Sora and better components overall. Meanwhile the Triban 500 seems like a good starter bike. Is the 200 euros jump to the 520 really worth it? Also, is Road Biking suitable for a 15 year old measuring 1m55/5"11?
    Thanks, Fritz_Frigursson

1m55 isnt 5'11?

5'11 would be about 1m78
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Fritz-

Those Decathlon bikes are both great, but I know it's easy to get caught up in the specification of the better one. If you (or the bank of mum and dad) can afford it the jump to Sora is probably just about worth it but it doesn't really matter. Make sure you have a bit left in your budget for a helmet, gloves, good shorts and a warm jersey if you don't have any yet!

However tall you are, there'll be a bike to fit you. Is there a local club you're thinking of joining? They may have an arrangement with a local bike shop for bikes and gear that is competitive with big-chain deals. However, Decathlon sell enough bikes that they're unlikely to try to foist an inappropriate size onto you to clear stock, so I'd heed their advice, size-wise. If in doubt, check back on here.

Well done, you're going to love cycling. Give it a couple of years and you'll probably be way faster than us MAMIL's on here..!