Knocked off by a moped, OTB. Ow.

pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 40
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
Not sure if you guys have a separate forum for accidents and advice etc. But here goes, was riding along uxbridge road just by Shepherds Bush in London. In the cycle lane as you do. Suddenly this moped pulls out in front of this bus crossing the lane and sticks out right into the cycle lane. This was maybe 1 ft in front of me, no stopping possible. Slam in, over the handle bars. Promptly verbally abused by him saying how 'I hit him', and I'm going too fast.

How insane, I'm in a cycle lane, and as you can clearly see by his bike (it landed exactly where he stopped), that I'm fairly sure it's his fault. Anyway, ass of a rider, didn't even ask if I was ok.

I've started a claims process, bike bit damaged, me more so. Anyone have any advice with this?
Photo_09_09_2016_10_19_37.jpg

Photo_09_09_2016_10_19_46.jpg

pic upload

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The moped was crossing the road ? From your right ? Where was he headed ? Seems odd.

No traffic lights you were going through ?

Have you read this : viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12722930
  • Yeah, from my right to my left, or from the above image point of view camera left to camera right. I drew a diagram, I'm the green arrow in the cycle lane, he's the red.

Screen_Shot_2016_09_09_at_10_36_26.png
  • And nope, not traffic lights, I had complete right of way.

I'll read your link thanks!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Was the bus stationary? I assume so.

Yes, looks like he was clearly in the wrong but my guess is that you werent visible because the bus obscured his view. Not an excuse as its his responsibility to ensure the way is clear but I see he is also a learner and has just learned an important lesson...!

Hopefully you are OK, but I am guessing the bike is mangled. Did you get a statement from the bus driver? They must have had a really good vantage point.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    apreading wrote:
    Did you get a statement from the bus driver? They must have had a really good vantage point.
    Could you approach the bus company and ask for CCTV? Explain you are not holding them liable but want it as a witness to help your case as politely as you can and they may help you out.
    Not much else to add to anything above other than I hope you are alright.
  • His fault - something similar happened to me resulting in a dented bonnet for the car I hit. From then on I make sure I'm extra careful in any situation that could be like that whether I'm on the bike or in the car. It not being my fault didn't make it any more pleasant, even though I could ride on afterwards. Hope you heal well.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    It not being my fault didn't make it any more pleasant
    A lot of people really need to remember this point.
  • This is where the risk of drivers flashing the oncoming to say "i'm letting you through" is so dangerous. People assume that because one says go, the other does.

I've had similar a few times, thankfully they've just ended up with an SPD stamp in the front quarter. people just don't think "Best check for the cycle lane", even if it's marked.

Get well soon, and good luck with the claim.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I always laugh at the 'you hit me so its your fault' line, so you can pull across in front of someone with impunity as long as you stop yourself before the inevitable collision you created! Nope.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.