Pointers please

laurentian
laurentian Posts: 2,505
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
A mate of mine has been doing a bit of non-serious MTB riding for a few years and is looking to get into road biking.

Although I can offer some (limited) advice, I don't want to overlook anything and was hoping someone could throw me some pointers as to a few makes/models he could consider when making his choice.

Some criteria:

1) He likes the idea of carbon
2) Rides will be purely leisure perhaps building to sportives/club membership over the next couple of years
3) Groupset Tiagra or better - my guess is a compact would suit
4) Budget £900 - £1500 (but needs pedals, shoes, bibs etc)
5) He thinks his size is 54 (obviously needs to get this checked and test ride etc)
6) Must have disc brakes***
7) Based in Rugby (if recommending a particular dealer)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Cheers

** edited to include this new criterium!!
Wilier Izoard XP

Comments

• jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    specialized roubaix with 105 on tredz for just over 1000
  • Find a shop that sells a few different makes and get him to try some.

To my mind, still by far the best way for a relative newbie to buy their first bike.
  • An alu synapse would do the job perfectly ...

Pauls currently have 2016 disc versions for £680 (tiagra) or £800 (105) ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oh if thats his total budget - then you might want to show him this - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BN298TUSB/ ... ter-bundle
  • laurentian
    Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Apologies but he has just told me it must have disc brakes! The Roubaix and PLanet X were great shouts jdee84 and Fenix and much appreciated. Starter kit looks just the job for a beginner too.

Going to bike shops and trying out is obviously the way to go but staff will inevitably (and understandably) point one towards what they have for sale rather than necessarily the best bike for his requirements which is why these pointers will determine the shop to visit.

Thanks for the help so far
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Try the link below plus £100 clothing bundle comes in at £1400.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRTD80/ ... -road-bike
  • laurentian
    Thanks to all above . . . I guess the problem with PlanetX is that they are online only and cannot be test ridden(?)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • I have been to a local bike shop today and they had plenty on sale. A good time to buy it would seem.

I am a big Canyon fan but probably that's better if you have a bit more idea of your fit. The Giants are nice and good value, a shop like Pedalon does a points system where you can use them to buy other kit.

You just have to do some leg work.. :-) to get the right bike.

As for Pointers? Will these do?

2zzuqkm.jpg
  • laurentian
    . . . do they have disc brakes?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Cube Agree disc. Fully carbon, 105 hyrdaulic discs. 2016 bikes are currently towards the middle of his budget but will soon be at the bottom :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris

• As for Pointers? Will these do?

2zzuqkm.jpg

Good work
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles