Nukeproof Mega tr 2014 rear shock

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Running the standard shock monarch R. Not the best but it's ok ish.
Been offered a serviced and warranted Fox kashmir CTD for £150.

Will it cut the mustard or is it best to upgrade to something else?
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• It's no better than the Monarch. The CTD series Fox stuff isn't very good.
    I fitted a Cane Creek DB Inline to my old Mega TR and it transformed the ride. The Mega is a bit crude so it needs a top quality shock to get the best out of it.
  • Thanks Rockmonkey. Thought you'd say that. I'll keep the cash and start looking at the cane creek one. Although at the minute wife's discussing extensions to the house whilst I'm talking about a radon swoop 170.
    Not sure who's going to win this one lol
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Get the Mega sorted with a decent shock. Forget the Radon, the Mega is extremely capable when you sort the rear suspension and fit a 35mm fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Isn't the Fox Kashmir a bit wooly feeling?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'm in the same position recently built up a mega tr and even though its my first full suspension bike I'm not really impressed by the rear shock. I've fiddled with the rebound and air pressure.

I've looked at the Cane Creek DB Inline and also the new inline coil shock by cane creek that is coming out soon so will most likely get one of those even though they cost about the same as I paid for the frame lol.
  • I was going to get the Inline coil but been persuaded to go for a Fox Van R with PUSH MX tune and ti spring. Cheaper than the Cane Creek and the one I tried was nicer than my DB coil.
  • swod1
    I was going to get the Inline coil but been persuaded to go for a Fox Van R with PUSH MX tune and ti spring. Cheaper than the Cane Creek and the one I tried was nicer than my DB coil.

Hmm interesting something else to look at. How much is that going to cost?

Tf tuned sell the cane creek inline shock and tweak it for you before sending which I was considering.
  • TF also sell the Fox Van R PUSH MX and it's about £450
  • It's a blooming mine field isn't it. The fox does sound interesting though.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The DB coil IL is £430 without a spring, vault spring is £90 which is pish given the coil IL is the same price as the inline air on CC's website.
  • swod1
    POAH wrote:
    The DB coil IL is £430 without a spring, vault spring is £90 which is pish given the coil IL is the same price as the inline air on CC's website.

Yeah I did see that, at the minute I'm just going leave the shock and use the money for a reverb dropper seatpost and some better handlebars carbon maybe.

Otherwise its a great bike, I cant really complain for the price I paid for the frame so I'm not really that bothered about the rear shock.