Bringing two bikes to the US? Import tax?

FikFik
FikFik Posts: 5
edited September 2016 in MTB general
Hello everyone!
I want to ask about bringing my bikes to the US.
A bit of background, i'm a foreign student and i would like to bring my DH and Trail bikes with me, both bikes are like 5 year old (not brand new). I will bring them with me as a checked-in baggage. I dont have any problem with airliner but i'm worried about import tax.
The bike will be for personal use only and will be returned to my home country in the future, probably in 2 or 3 years
I tried visiting CBP website but still cannot get exact answer for whether or not i have to pay something for bringing the bikes.
I think because of me bringing two of them, the border protection might see me as someone who bring merchandise for the purpose of selling them. Im not sure though...
Let me hear your comments or experience!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt it, but you might be better off asking on a US forum. This is mainly UK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As a UK based forum we aren't the best to ask.

From a UK point of view if they are personal used property there would be no import duty, as for the US I can't say.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • In the US now!
    There were no tax thankfully, but i played safe and only brought one of them
    I asked the CBP staff in the airport when i arrived, there shouldn't be any import duty even if i bring two of them
    I hope this will help someone in the future