Five Ten Freerider or Contacts

alex100a
alex100a Posts: 84
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I'm looking to fork out on some new MTB shoes and everything is leading me down the route of Five Tens....except possibly the cost!

I really like to the look of the Freerider Contacts (I've found for around £80) but not sure whether I can justify the additional cost over standard Freeriders, which I've found online for around £55 albeit not in my preferred colours.

I've got a long weekend booked in Wales next month and want something that sticks to my pedals better than my current AM41s.

Your views/experiences would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ive got a pair of contacts and not impressed with them, I use them on and off to work on Nukeproof evo pedals for the last 6 months and there spilting on the sides, the edge of the sole is lifting on both shoes and the sole itself is torn to pieces. I expect a bit of wear and tear but not to be to a degree falling apart.
  • Thanks bluemoon81. I think that's just taken Contacts off my short list!
  • bluemoon81 wrote:
    Ive got a pair of contacts and not impressed with them, I use them on and off to work on Nukeproof evo pedals for the last 6 months and there spilting on the sides, the edge of the sole is lifting on both shoes and the sole itself is torn to pieces. I expect a bit of wear and tear but not to be to a degree falling apart.

If you're looking for a hard wearing 5:10, then try these:

https://www.scotbycycles.co.uk/footwear ... 2016-p4726

I have a pair.
  • If you're struggling for grip with AM41's then it's either pedals or technique which are most likely the problem.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Yeah sounds like you need to alter the pins in your pedals if your shoes aren't gripping the pedal.

I've got some fairly worn am41s and they grip just fine on my hope f20s.

What pedals are you using?
  • Technique! How very dare you RockmonkeySC :D Seriously though you may well be right as I'm self taught so probably full of bad habits/techniques.

As for pedals i've been using DMR V8s. When riding locally with friends (Roads/bridleways etc) I use a pair of walking shoes and save the AM41s to trails centers but don't notice a massive improvement in grip. I guess my walking shoes could just happen to be really good on the V8s.

I've just purchased some Nano-X pedals (not fitted yet) and think these will improve grip but I'm still looking to get a new paid of shoes and would prefer to try something else other than the Shimano option. Tried to get some 661 Filters in the sales but they sold out of my size (9/9.5)

I cant really justify spending much more than around £50. Any suggestions other than the Freeriders I found for £55?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    alex100a wrote:
    I've just purchased some Nano-X pedals (not fitted yet) and think these will improve grip but I'm still looking to get a new paid of shoes and would prefer to try something else other than the Shimano option. Tried to get some 661 Filters in the sales but they sold out of my size (9/9.5)

The nano-x pedal will work great with the am41s I use this combination on another bike of mine and I've not had any issues.

In the box you will get two sets of pins short and long, the short pins work fine with my am41s. I don't know who will use the long pins as the short ones are fine.
  • V8's are rubbish. You'll get a huge improvement from nanos.
    I've had five tens and would never buy them again. They are horrible in the wet, they absorb water and take days to dry.