Shimano RS785 Brake Lever Reach Adjusment

NattyGrace
NattyGrace Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

I've recently bought a new adventure road bike, my first actually and it came with shimano disc brakes.

Having small hands I'm having trouble reaching the brake levers when in the drops but the amount of adjustment that is available is tiny, I have made sure the adjustment screw is fully in but still I can barely reach them.

The lbs said they'd have to shim them but then I would loose the initial free stroke and they'd only be able to take them in so far which still might not be enough.

Has anyone else found this with these brakes? Is there any other way around it like different bars with different shaped drops?

I'm not new to cycling, I've ridden MTB for years ad do alot of my own machanics but I am new to road bikes so need a little guidence.

Many thanks

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    I think you mean ST-RS685 shift/lever, BR-RS785 is the brake caliper. Are you sure you have turned the reach adjustment screw the correct way? The Shimano instructions state that to decrease the reach, the adjustment screw is turned counterclockwise, you state that that you have the screw "fully in". What style of drop handlebars does the bike have?
  • Hey DJ58,

Yes sorry the I couldn't find the model number on the levers and just read what it said on the caliper...

I have tightened the screw clockwise, which made the levers move towards the bars ever so slightly, the bars only say Specialized on them so I'm not sure of exact model, the drop aren't as round like some bars I've seen and this seems to make for a greater distance between bar and lever.

Since this post I have moved the levers down the bars and this has helped a bit, I now feel a bit more confident in the drops.

Thanks for the reply, I don't think these brakes have much adjustment but I seems to be ok now.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Hello,

If your bike is a Specialized Diverge Expert, the specs. state that the handlebars are a shallow drop 123mm, short reach 75mm, otherwise know as a compact style. They seem to be standard fit on a lot of bikes these days.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    DJ58 wrote:
    I think you mean ST-RS685 shift/lever, BR-RS785 is the brake caliper. Are you sure you have turned the reach adjustment screw the correct way? The Shimano instructions state that to decrease the reach, the adjustment screw is turned counterclockwise, you state that that you have the screw "fully in". What style of drop handlebars does the bike have?

There is an R785 lever. Follow this link for the Dealer Manual http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf%2Fdm%2FDM-BR0004-02-ENG.pdf

Page 35 Free Stroke and Reach adjustment. Note that if you are only trying to adjust the reach (and not the free stroke) go to page 36, step 3 which clearly states that to decrease the reach from bar to lever you turn the adjuster clockwise, not counterclockwise as DJ58 has stated.

I set mine up just fine and adjusted the reach to bring the levers closer to the bar. The problem of moving the levers around the bar to adjust the reach (that you state you have done) is that you end up with your hoods in an non-optimal position and risk aches and pains as you will not be comfortable riding on the hoods.

Hope this helps.

PP