What should a newbie aim form

vysie
vysie Posts: 34
edited September 2016 in Road beginners
Sorry to flood with questions, everyday. Yesterday I had planned to go out riding but due to various jobs around the house I didn't get out and as I'm on my rest days no commute either. So today kids off to school bike out. Now at the minute I'm in mtb shorts with a padded seat bum thingy and a dry fit top so not proper attire.
I rode 11 miles in under 45mins with some good climbs now for me I'm pleased but now back feel I should of cracked on a bit more maybe 15miles, my knee started to ache but nothing to bad. I no my left knee needs work due to being knocked over as a kid (drunk driver) long story. So it's weaker than my right but hope it will improve as I ride more,

Now tomorrow my plans the same kids school bike out do I do this route again see if I improve or mix it up a little?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You won't have improved physically in 24 hours - that's not how it works. The times are unlikely to be comparable anyway - different weather, wind, temp, etc. Just ride your bike and enjoy it.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    as a newbie your rate of improvement will be massive.

your body however is very slow to physically change, so all the improvements that you will see on a daily basis are going to be neurological .... your brain is learning how to ride a bike, its imprioving the CNS reponse to recruit whay type of muscles for what you are doing in the most efficient way.

when I started riding to work, I was CRAP ! .. slow, wobbly and being over taken by everything and everyone, with in 2 weeks I had knocked 5mins of my times ,,,, just through the body learning how to ride and getting more efficient.

As the Newbie gains wear off, the physical adaptations start to kick in .... and you start to get faster in climbs, but recover quicker so you don't then freewheel for the next 100m but keep pedalling.

if you haven't done so and you can afford it a GPS is a great tool for tracking your rides and comparing your segments to see where you are improving. .... some of my quickest rides I haven't been quick in individual segments, just consistent over all
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just get out and enjoy it. Ramp up the distance steadily and the speed will come with time anyway.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    ^^ this, I am massively faster and fitter with more indurance and better recovery than I was when I started .... yet at the same time I am so far away from where I thought I would be or want to be.

As long as you keep going out, your body will adapt and you will get better .... and the more you do, the better you will get .. well unless you over do it or underfuel
  • vysie
    vysie Posts: 34
    Cheers guys I no about I'm not going to improve muscle wise over night but as I've done it once I no where I can go for it and such like
    I use strava and have a garmin edge touring plus tbh the garmin is massively over kill for me looking at the edge 25 instead
    As for enjoying it that's all I'm bothered about tbh If I can ride out and watch the world go by makes it all the better even got a good morning from a fellow lady rider don't get that on an mtb
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    fat daddy wrote:
    as a newbie your rate of improvement will be massive.

your body however is very slow to physically change, so all the improvements that you will see on a daily basis are going to be neurological .... your brain is learning how to ride a bike, its imprioving the CNS reponse to recruit whay type of muscles for what you are doing in the most efficient way.

I was going to say something to this effect, I notice big gains in the first few times at something new, plus I'm usually too conservative on pacing.
    Vysie wrote:
    I use strava and have a garmin edge touring plus tbh the garmin is massively over kill for me looking at the edge 25 instead

The edge 25 is great, does everything I need it to do, my only gripe is the batterylife but this is only an issue if I'm touring or doing a really long ride for some reason. Then I have to stick strava on on my phone for the final bit. Won't be an issue for you as you have a big garmin too