Big Mistakes in GCN Di2 video

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5EEd7eRUFY

At 2.58. He says there is no micro-adjust function for the front derailleur, but there is. Go into big/big and press the trim button. You can now trim the front der. with the left lever. At 3.25 they show the Low Limit adjuster, but this is NOT IT! It is the support screw. The low limit adjuster is to the left.

You'd think they'd get the basics right....! Anyone screwing away on the screw they show as being the low limit is liable to drill/screw a hole in their seat tube!!

Comments

• They have a target audience that probably aren't that knowledgeable about cycling
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not worth getting excited about...
  • Imposter wrote:

If I was a newbie and I screwed the support screw into my seat tube, whilst wondering why the cage wasn't moving, thereby causing at the least a nice indentation and cracked paint, at the worst a hole in my frame, I'd get fairly 'excited'!! :|
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Point it out to them/under the video? Not much point doing it on here.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Point it out to them/under the video? Not much point doing it on here.

Yep, done that. I'm sure plenty of people here use, watch, enjoy GCN videos, they're generally very good, but maybe worth mentioning that they aren't infallible? Especially when it comes to tinkering with your own bike.....
  • A bit like using WD40 and fairy liquid to clean your bike? Dont get me wrong they make great videos but I guess we all make mistakes.... sometimes...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    A bit like using WD40 and fairy liquid to clean your bike? Dont get me wrong they make great videos but I guess we all make mistakes.... sometimes...

I dunno, I've used both - the world didn't end.
  • Imposter wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    A bit like using WD40 and fairy liquid to clean your bike? Dont get me wrong they make great videos but I guess we all make mistakes.... sometimes...

:lol:
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Imposter wrote:

If I was a newbie and I screwed the support screw into my seat tube, whilst wondering why the cage wasn't moving, thereby causing at the least a nice indentation and cracked paint, at the worst a hole in my frame, I'd get fairly 'excited'!! :|

1. If you were a newbie would you be likely to be riding a Di2 equipped bike?
    2. If you were a newbie would you be tinkering with derailleurs without actually knowing what you were doing?
  • Imposter wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:

:lol:

I always thought fairy liquid was verboten but having seen extixx mechanics use it at the Tour de France i guess it's ok.

It is a degreaser after all.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use fairy liquid to wash my bikes (diluted in water of course), what else would you use? Its just soap and water.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Household detergents have a lot of salt in them so you want to give whatever you're cleaning a good rinse afterwards to prevent rust, but it's not going to dissolve your bike like Muc-Off would have you believe.
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    Paging the chap who dispels the fairy liquid/salt myth
  • MugenSi wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

1. If you were a newbie would you be likely to be riding a Di2 equipped bike?
    2. If you were a newbie would you be tinkering with derailleurs without actually knowing what you were doing?

1. Yes, why not? Dentist swaps from golf to cycling, buys Pinarello F8, I've seen it all the time.

2. Depends. Everyone's a newbie at some point. I was when I first started tinkering with my Di2. I looked to the internet for clues and tips. Good thing I didn't see this vid first.....!
  • I sometimes use a bit of washing up liquid but tend to avoid it as I've always believed it could cause corrosion but a bit of googling suggests otherwise.....

"“Washing up liquid does contain a ‘salt’ but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there’s no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the ‘chloride’ bit of the salt. In ‘chloride nests’ at the base of a corrosion pit, the chloride exists as hydrogen chloride, which in damp conditions creates a solution of dilute hydrochloric acid, and it’s this acid that does the damage. You need to avoid ‘chloride’ from any and all sources, e.g. seawater, road grit and fish & chips (but not washing up liquid). When I wash my aluminium bodied Lea Francis, a dash of Fairy is just fine…”

True or BS ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • http://www.theecologist.org/green_green ... iquid.html

TL;DR it contains salt (sodium chloride) although it's no clear how much.