Steel frame on cycle to work

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello folks.
New job starting soon, (yay! no more offshore) and they have CTW.

Can you buy just a frame, do you think ?.
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I think the rule is "no" ... but I am sure your bike shop might be able to do something if you were to ask them ..... let me know how you get on, as I quite fancy buying a dura Ace groupset and swapping all my Ultegra stuff over to the the bike with Tiagra ... now if I could do that on C2W that would help
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    probably depends on the shop if they d be will to put it through as a bike. a guy i used to work with got a set of wheels on it but i m sure the bike shopp said it was a bike on the forms
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    mind you if you shop around, some of the steel frames come with Wheels and gears and stuff .. you could buy one of those ?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Possibly, if the bike shop will work with you. It's definitely outside the rules though.

If it is related to wanting an expensive frame under the £1k limit you will have more luck in getting a full bike and getting the bike shop to put the £1k on CTW and pay the rest in cash (also outside the rules but many bike shops are happy to co-operate).
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    My company use 'bike2workscheme' as the administrator (i don't know how others operate) and when you submit your quote it is up to you what you describe the item as. So it takes it out of the hands of the bike shop.

So in your case you could just type in 'Bike', and then all the shop are doing is receiving the voucher for the submitted amount.

Last year, and this, I have just submitted an amount under the classification of 'Equipment'.

I was previously told a couple of years ago that paying the balancing amount over £1k CTW limit was now allowed in the rules too.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Thought you could use the C2W to buy "parts"? I was tempted to get a new groupset, for example

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Evans specifically exclude frames bought on their own. You can buy one with parts though.