Floppy brake lever - calipers not engaging!

carms28
carms28 Posts: 27
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Not sure if anyone has had this but when I went to pull my brake lever today it pulled all the way back to the handlebar and it stayed there! They are floppy to move and seem permanently stuck close to the handlebar. They do not rebound and have noticed the calipers aren't engaging the rotor. The lever feels as tho there should be something rebounding and pushing fluid but nothings happening! I carnt see any signs of a fluid leak neither.

Any help or advice would be great as I have an event on Sunday and need to know if they are fixable (myself or bike shop) or if I need to order a new brake.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Yeah they are hydraulic shimano deore brakes.

Surely if there's no signs of a fluid leak there shouldn't be any loss of pressure?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, if there is no fluid leak it would "hold pressure"*, whether you see the leak is a different issue.

the worst leak is from the piston seal as the pads conveniently soak it all up for you.

Look at the pads, do they move when you pull the lever, are they spaced off the disc, if they aren't adjusting properly then you get the same symptom.

*Poor description as they don't 'hold pressure' when inactive but that's by the by.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the response. The Verdict: Took it to LBS and they said the pin which engages the master cylinder in the lever is bent or come lose. Ordered a new lever.