Strong wheelset..Advice please!

davecara
davecara Posts: 104
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've just picked up an old Cannondale Super V 4000DH to build up and start riding again. Im in need of some advice as to what wheels to go for. Its got a pair of Boxxer forks with a 20mm thru axle and Disc only. I havent got massive money, (would prefer used if anyone has a set for sale!)
Any recommendations? Riding will be bits of jumping and jaunts to Antur Stiniog/Coed Y Brenin/Llandegla which are pretty much on my doorstep and Im a lard arse :D

Comments

• That's a rare bike these days. I haven't seen one in years. Immensely heavy but decent back in its day.
    Look out for a set of Mavic EX721 or 729 on Hope hubs if you're looking used.
    For new wheels on a budget, Superstar Components are the best option.
  • Mavic 729's are not made any more but a tough rim. The velocity P35 or the blunt 35 is a damm fine rim that is tough and wide.

Lace the to any decent hub hope DT swiss shimano XT with DT comps or sapim race spokes and you have a good wheel so long as it well built.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Custom build is expensive though and a waste of time unless you're going pretty high spec. A set of Hope Tech DH complete wheels would be cheaper, you can't even buy the component parts for the price of a complete wheel set.