Single speed chainset/chainring

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Want to buy replacement chainset or chainring for my Genesis Flyer (black) Currently have 46T 3/32, 130BCD, with Shimano square taper BB.

Running 46/15 with 23mm tyres and I find this perfect in gear inches. However I've read running a small sprocket is not a good idea, so have to size up the chainring and then choose a larger sprocket. So if I want to keep it at 80 gear inches

49/16
52/17
55/18

Considering cost of chainring it's pratically the same price as a new chainset.

I have another wheelset with 28mm tyres, with a 15T. It's fine for flats and moderate fast climbs but I think it's a little bit high at 82 for steeper banks.

I will continue to use my 3/32 until it's worn out and have a couple of 3/32 chains as well so go through them first. Would it be worthwhile once I've worn those, I look at 1/8"

What choices do I have for 3/32" chainrings/chainsets and 1/8" chainsets with 49, 52 and 55 options?
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• I would worry about a 15 at the back (although in some respects mechanically small sprockets are less good, but then we could all run 65t chainrings) but if you do then just see what freewheels that are big enough for your thoughts can get than then use a gear calculation chart to find the matching chairing. The buy it. You'll get 48, 50, 52 and 53 easily.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    That's a lot of faff to go to just because you read somewhere that running a 15 is not a good idea.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Imposter wrote:
    That's a lot of faff to go to just because you read somewhere that running a 15 is not a good idea.

I've read that below 14t, it can be a consideration if you're trying to get the last scrap of efficiency. Not sure I'd worry about a 15 personally.